Sunday, February 19, 2006

Indescribable

Sometimes in life , we are allowed the rare privelege of experiencing most of our mental planets lining up simultaneously and for a time to bask in the bright light of Truth. Went to church this morning and experienced a service that seemed orchestrated entirely for me. I'm not sure what that couple of hundred other people were doing there, but from the first song to the last prayer, I felt the soothing comfort of being loved, valued, and well. I don't mean to describe an emotional experience because that could be achieved just as easily by discovering an antique at the thrift shop, or by watching a really awesome movie and feeling that sense of connectness and goodness that we can all relate to. No, this was different.

The old has passed away- behold all things have become new. Or, as the Message puts it:
"anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life burgeons! Look at it!"

If indeed I am new, then why would I identify myself by my weaknesses or perceived failures? If I could really achieve being the person I want to be, then I would not need God for any reason. I could shout up at Him:
" Hey! Am I okay yet? Am I trying hard enough for you yet?"

I like the way Chris Tomlin puts it in his lyrics "Indescribable"
"Indescribable, uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.
You are amazing God
Incomparable, unchangeable
You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same
You are amazing God."

Paul says it well in 2 Corinthians:
"Dear, dear Corinthians, I can't tell you how much I long for you to enter this wide-open, spacious life. We didn't fence you in. The smallness you feel comes from within you. Your lives aren't small, but you're living them in a small way. Open up your lives. Live openly and expansively!"

He who began a good work in (me) will be faithful to complete it in (me). As I fully grasp the truth of having been given an extreme makeover by the maker Himself, I look forward to recognizing my new face and refusing to mask it in failure and inadequacy.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Amazing. Thanks, Joyce.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joyce,

I hope you take daily soaks in that newfound feeling.

When you get a chance, take a listen, with the headphones on and late at night to Amanda Marshall's Believe in You

Let me know what you think

joyce said...

Christy- You of all people ARE WELCOME!

Rod- I'll take that, but do I have to be awake?