Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Grace


(msn encarta dictionary)

Grace:
kindness, kindliness, decency, favor, mercy, mercifulness, charity, benevolence, clemency, leniency, reprieve

clemency:
act of mercy: an act that bestows or shows mercy toward another person.

I have a picture of grace that envelopes both "sides" of a loaded and charged situation. Its not that remarkable to rush to the defense of someone you call your friend and don't like to see hurting, but it is remarkable when the grace is so plentiful that both, diametrically opposed perspectives and the choices that flow from them can be viewed with decency, mercy, and clemency.

Its the kind of grace that allows plenty of room for differing viewpoints, and for the possibility of a new reality at some other time when wounds are not so weepy. Its the kind of grace that says; "We'll do this together." Instead of spending precious energy on choosing allegiances or nailing others firmly to their crosses, it speaks with tenderness of the hope for restoration. It shelters the weak and vulnerable from undue hurtfulness. It hopes against hope.

Paul says it best; "But for right now... we have three things to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly.

And the best of the three is love.

3 comments:

Roo said...

trust steadily in God,
hope unswervingly
love e-x-t-r-a-v-a-g-a-n-t-l-y....

Bonnie said...

Love extravagantly!! God loves us like that, but I have to wonder, what is that kind of love like? I feel it sometimes, being loved extravagantly, I try to love others. Do I do it extravagantly? I don't know, but each day I learn how to love more and thanks to God's grace, I can grow in His love.

Thanks for this post, it inspired me today!

it's a gong show... said...

"but it is remarkable when the grace is so plentiful that both, diametrically opposed perspectives and the choices that flow from them can be viewed with decency, mercy, and clemency." That statement just makes me want to cry...and I'm not quite sure why? It reminded me of something I read today.

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.” ~George Eliot