Saturday, August 16, 2008

Happy-ometer

Some weekends last for roughly five-and-a-half seconds, and one is left with the feeling that Monday has followed rudely on the heels of Friday's punching out . Other weekends are delicious- much what I imagine it feels like to be a five year old child before the grind of kindergarten and alarm clocks has quite worn down the anticipation of days filled with marble drop, little pet shop and toast-with-nutella.

Blissfully for me, this weekend is not of the 5.5 second quality. I kicked off early Friday, packing up two preschoolers in the van for some McDonald playland fun. We balanced pleasure with business; delivering some bags and meeting some supporters in the city, before heading home for a romp through the sprinkler in the backyard. After work, we converted the daycare into a delectable tapas setting, enjoying time, food, and wine with some friends throughout the evening. The weather was perfect for a backyard bonfire, and Brian was thoughtful enough to buy me a crackling red wine called Castelvetro that my winnebago touting hippy friend Lory recently introduced to me. It was the ideal complement to the best appetizer in the world, which Brian also cooked up. Deep-fried zucchini with bernaisse. Holy cow. I'd happily coagulate my arteries to those tunes for some time to come. So, just for practise, I hammered back about 44 pounds of zucchini with my castelvetro and threw back my head with some genuine belly laughs with friends. That's not something to take for granted.

Saturday morning I woke up in time for my dear friend Rosa's 8:20 phone call. We had a lovely long chat with few interruptions from the subjects of our recklessly optimistic venture of procreation. By the time those short-but-loud urchins started making a bunch of noise, I'd already managed a few loads of laundry and some backhoeing in the sewing room.

Arianna was away at camp again this week, and was I ever ready to see her when she frolicked home early this afternoon! She was a willing participant in an impromtu fashion show employing a box of vintage clothing that a supporter had sent for the Darfur project. She flew in and out of the bathroom, entertaining us with the best fashion, preserved from the early 60's. Gotta love those white fortrel hot pants!

There was just time for a load of laundry and a quick packing turn around before it was time to get the girls back to winnipeg for cousin camp with their uber auntie. But first a detour to meet up with thousand dollar JWB. (worthy of a post all its own). Nothing like a selfless philanthropist to make a gal have hope for humanity.

After the girls got dropped off and I was blissfully alone, I decided to share myself all atwitter, a-quiver and ferkelmpt with my friend Karla-with-a-"k". Shamelessly, I plopped myself on her couch and spread out the wealth of the Darfur donations for us to salivate over before heading to the bank and sending the funds off to the world food programme. We stared agog at the dough and discussed the goodness to be found in people; the love of Jesus who fed the hungry and cared for the widows, the children, the ugly and the scabby. We wondered aloud at the people who so selflessly support the project.

If that wasn't enough to just wrap up the weekend and start Monday early..... I also got to go shopping all by myself. I managed to buy Brian seven new shirts and myself two pairs of shorts for a mere $59.80. Really and truly.

And guess what? It's only Saturday night.
Maybe even "bath and treat" night......But I'll never tell.

3 comments:

Karla said...

You can twitter and quiver on my couch anytime. I love feeling connected to your project - but even more - your life. That was one of the best parts of my weekend.

Roo said...

awwww...
i miss tapas.

Crystal said...

sounds like an awesome weekend. I made deep fried zucchini sticks too!

I planted WAY too much zucchini this year :)