Monday, December 26, 2005

Enough Already!

Where is it written that if you are "Martha" enough to get all the bedding in the house washed, dried, reapplied... SOMEONE WILL INVARIABLY THROW UP!!! Not at a convenient time like 10 am, or 3:00 pm when you've just thought- "there now, I have really stayed above water today!". No, these eruptions come between 1:00 and 4:00 am, at the time that one's bed sheets have become a part of one's self; a cozy second skin.

As if there hasn't been enough drama recently. After Sammy's birthday, shutting down day care for a week to become a clean freak, hauling Sam to emerg to get glommed back together, intermittently running over to the church to decorate for Christmas (SURE!!! NO, I'd LOVE to do that !!!"), having my husband convince me to join him on stage at the candle light service ( I told him I'd squeak. Have you ever tried to hit the low note on your clarinet when its bone dry and cold and you've had a three year old crawling all over you, and him trying to extinquish all the church candles while you watch for your oppurtunity to perform?!)

Well, you'd think God might be trying to communicate when the clarinet squeaked, and I in my regular uninhibited way bellow straight into the mike..." OH THATS JUST GREAT! Lets start over. " Fumbled through the remainder of the song (looking like a tibetan monk, since I shaved my head in spite over the lice.) Gratefully exiting the stage, I see my gorgeous daughter running up the aisle. I am grateful for such open- armed acceptance until I match her words with her moving lips and moving feet...... MOM! come right now! Sam is BLEEDING!

Yes, of course he is. The minister, (having nothing better to do on Christmas Eve, I am sure) is holding a wild child, blood draining from his lip where teeth sunk into flesh after falling on his face trying to get back to his mother. My own lip is whining where the clarinet reed dug into it (blasted low note) .

Time to go now. Enough. Let's go sleep on our very clean sheets in our cozy house, and tomorrow maybe we could just BE?! Ahhh, but then there's the 1:00 am eruption, a call to duty
once again.

No comments: