Friday, June 06, 2008

She Gets Out of the House!

It was shaping up to be a glorious friday. The van was in the garage, and there were only a few kids kicking around the place. Practically a day off. Perfect oppurtunity to head into the city and pick up the two convalescing sewing machines from the repair hospital. In our enthusiasm, we arrived a half hour before the shop opened, so we headed off to McDonald playland for some crawling about in germs and puke and salt and ketchup. It was a huge hit, and the machines got picked up in time for us to make a stop at the Dollar store for some odds and ends for the house. I got really happy when I discovered that they carried the XL ziploc style bag- the sort that one can use for sleeping bags, or basketballs, or in my case.... a wonderful way to see an assortment of fabrics but contain them instead of letting them breed shamelessly across the sewing room floor, into the living room, and likely trailing out the back of my pants. The kids were like little angels. They never begged or whined once. Really. Well, my own verged on whining once or twice, but never enough to ruffle my chin hairs.

We arrived home in time for lunch. Except that I had packed my kids lunches in the morning, not wanting to re-commit a former sin of them coming home for lunch and finding me... well,,, not home. So, there we were. The kids happily got into toys and practising scissor skills. I managed to practise a little scissor skilling of my own, just with a different medium than electronics flyers. The cat jumped up onto my sewing table and crawled into my basket of trims and ric rac, and settled in for a lovely, rainy day nap. I imagined that our puppy Shadow would be curled up on a pile of laundry in the bathroom, yawning and licking.

But two hours later, it seemed like an awfully long nap for a puppy.

I looked in her dog bed. I looked at the laundry. I checked all the fabric bits laying here, there, and everywhere. Nothing.

She was so happy when we got home, that she raced into the garage to cover us with sloppy kisses. I got all the kids in out of the van, out of the garage, and into the house. I repeated the same procedure with the bread, the XL ziplocs, the duct tape, and the bobby pins.

I assumed the dog would get herself into the house.
I guess my timing for shutting the door to the garage was a little off.
Boy, was she happy to see us, all over again!

8 comments:

Crystal said...

LOL!!!

Twice in as many months. Poor Shadow!

Jennie C. said...

Fabric bits everywhere ... sounds familiar. I knew I had a problem when I was wishing I had my scissors this morning 'cause I saw a muddy, stained couch on the curb. The upholstery under the cushions was probably half decent! ~~ The BC Bag Pirate Lady

joyce said...

well, yes. And then I carelessly splash that info all over cyberspace. The doggie police are surely going to sniff me out!

Judy said...

Dogs are SO forgiving.

My cat, on the other hand, still holds things against me that happened decades ago.

gloria said...

*shakes her head sadly*

Anonymous said...

I'm just laughing about ruffling your chin hairs - hilarious!

Mel

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't leave her tied up in front of a store somewhere....

Valerie Ruth said...

my dog is just as happy to see me if i've been gone for 5 min or 5 hrs. it's incredible.