- The widely accepted and condoned sentiment that "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Well, if you've had pneumonia for three weeks and you don't die, you're not actually stronger after that. When you're depressed and find yourself going to bed at 7:00 pm just so you can drag yourself through the next day, that doesn't feel stronger by a long shot. If you've had cancer and you endure months of chemotherapy and radiation but don't actually DIE, you're actually NOT stronger at the end of all that. When someone you love dies, and it feels like you're probably going to die also, because you can't imagine going on in that kind of pain; you're not stronger at the end of all that either. You're beat up and bruised and limping along and partially broken forever after that. I don't see that as stronger.
- I don't get hot tubs. I know I'm supposed to, as most adults love them. I'm not the fussiest person around, and am pretty easy going about hygiene and germs, but really, people? Let's all put our skanky boy and girl parts into a bubbling broth and then languish there together. Yuck. Better yet- let's do it with a bunch of random strangers who may or may not have warts in places they don't belong. Who may or may not believe in daily showers or proper bum wiping techniques. Let's hang out with folks with back hair and black heads and undiagnosed diseases-- no! Let's BATH with them! I don't think so.
- manicures and pedicures. I know. I'm probably really alienating some people right now. I've probably lost some important contacts for life. When my finger nails grow past a millimeter or so, I feel claustrophobic and dirty. How much worse if all that were lacquered on, semi-permanently? And if you want to mess with my feet, how about just taking off those callouses and maybe working on those plantar warts? See? I bet you feel kind of squeamish too, by now. JUst think about all the nastiness those hand and feet people deal with next time you're reaching for a gem.
- Shirts and dresses with only one sleeve. I'm already unbalanced on the inside where it counts.
- Rare meat. Why don't you just go take a bite out of your dog?!
And that's just a sampler of what I just don't get.
How about you?