Monday, May 01, 2006

MILK



Here is an official disclaimer to any of you who may be considering adding to your family. In my house, it takes roughly 28 hours to drain 4 litres of milk. If you wonder why I shop for carpets on trash day and clothe myself in cast-offs, just try to imagine how thirsty and hungry my lineage would appear if I were to spend that milk money on anything other than milk!

When I was a kid, and the youngest of eight hungry farm children, we were sent across the road with two empty ice cream buckets that we filled ourselves out of the giant silver milk holder thingy in the neighbor's dairy barn. It was called the milk room- a clean concrete room with one door directly from the farm yard and the other leading into the barn. It had a faint smell of cow in it, but in a really friendly, clean sort of way. Then we would leave a dollar or some other unreasonably small amount of money in the milk room and carefully carry those heavy pails home to the fridge. After a few hours in the fridge the thick cream would rise to the surface and mom would skim it off with an old ladle to be put into coffee and baked into cream cookies.

The milk we drink now has probably been over processed, with mysterious things added and subtracted. Anyhow, it's the best I can do since I have a church across the road from me now, and I highly doubt they'd want me coming in there swinging empty pails around, scrounging for affordable milk in their prayer room.......

8 comments:

andrea said...

My previous doctor, who had 4 teenage children at the time, told me that they went through 45 litres of milk per week! Be very afraid ~ yours are still but small!

Romeo Morningwood said...

Holy Bovine Growth Hormones Batman!

This too shall pass....

My father was a milkman(person)whatever, and aside from spurning the advances of desperate lonely housewives on his route his greatest challlenge was to keep our fridge stocked with Milk. Until I discovered the miracle of Beer I drank unmentionable amounts of COW-J!

I lost my train of thought after I wrote Beer...

Anonymous said...

GOT MILK?

Cherrypie said...

I sympathise. 2L disappears out of my fridge in a little less than 12 hours and I don't touch the yukky stuff . I'd need a bigger fridge if I had any more children.

Willie Baronet said...

You are a riot. I laughed out loud at your comment on Cherry Pie's mushrooms. Thanks for the smile, and for your rant about how much milk you drink. :-)

Christy said...

You forgot the vico. ;)

CeCe said...

You make me giggle.

That being said, I envy the your childhood! I wish I lived in the past! (or somewhere where the past is the present)

joyce said...

Andrea- lala lala I can't hear you..
H.O. Growth hormones- one of the things I chew my cuticles to the bone over, if I allow myself to dwell on it too much.
Cherry: I don't drink it either!But I think Beatrice and General Mills owe Sammy a huge thank you for his over consumption of cheerios with milk!
Rramone: you make me blush
Christy: Ok, I give up. I even looked "vico" up online, and they came up empty as well. The word sounds familiar but I CANNOT place it- HELP ME!
Cece: Yeah, well maybe someday I will go on a rant about the downside of growing up in a bubble. There are just so many sweet things to remember and that's my preference- call it denial, or Rose-up-my-ass syndrome. Either way, keep commenting!