Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cougar Party


I think that "cougar" may be a term from the plains. I've spent more time on google than I'll ever admit to, looking for images that would fall under the heading of "cougar" and mostly came up with large, frightening looking animals who live in Africa. That's really not what I have in mind for my fortieth birthday party. If you are from Manitoba, you may be familiar with the other meaning of the word "cougar". Its the word I remember my brother-in-law using to describe certain ladies who were past their "prime" but still dressed, and presented themselves as though they were "all that". I tend to think of nylons with print, really high stillettoes, hair that's been teased way beyond the point of being amusing, tight skirts like the sort we were fond of in the eighties.... but that's only my limited perspective. Here's what I need from you. Tell me, via comments, what "cougar" means to you. Then come to my fortieth birthday party dressed in such a manner. I don't care how old you are, how young you are, whether you know me, or whether I know you. I just want a house full of women and I want it to be about me turning forty. I want people to come who have never come before. I want people who have come before to come again.

There are few rules or guidelines. Simply, bring something to share. Come in character. Introduce yourself at the door if I don't know you. (thats one of my favourite parts!)

Beyond those very few, very unimportant details, everyone knows that once you've entered the gates, the time begins to fly. Sometimes hems come up. Sometimes secrets slip out. Sometimes Dr Ruth shows up, uninvited. (ahem, ede). Sometimes the guests are blog readers. Sometimes they have no idea what a blog is. Tattoes can be revealed, curves may be uncovered. There is always, always great food. (that you bring, of course.) There is always heaps of hysterical laughter. There are always new relationships formed, fresh perspectives gleaned. People always go home too early for my taste, and I'd really like to see that change this year. Believe me, if I get tired, I'll see myself to bed, but there's no reason for anyone to be polite, or to think of their children and husbands at home. Isn't that what the rest of the year is for?

Grrrrrr.....

Can't wait until November the tenth.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

what "cougar" means to me.....
first thing that comes to mind...wanna be sexy older lady (30ish +) who is on the prowl for a younger, hotter model of her used to be or still present husband. usually drunk by 9 pm...or 8pm depending on when she got let out...

joyce said...

sheesh! leesh! what a terrific start! (I'm sorry about all the exclamation points, I actually have a policy against that.... but really..)
what a great way to start- with a commentor who I absolutely do not know. Hope you're coming to the party. And I know for sure that your explation/definition is bang on. Thank you for that. I'd forgotten the bit about the younger model thing.

Anonymous said...

My understanding of "Cougar" is the same as Leesh's but the lady on the prowl must also be 30-40 pounds heavier than she thinks she is and must have the too smallish clothes for her body.

it's a gong show... said...

leesh and ali, you're killin' me! you nailed it! can hardly wait to see everyone's attire ;P

love that cartoon joyce

Nancy said...

These comments are crackin' me up! Sure wish I could be at the party. I'd love to wear leopard, or should I say cougar print clothing.
And Leesh, if you think 30+ is older, than I don't think Joyce should let you into the party!!!!!

Valerie Ruth said...

try googling "urban cougar"

Anonymous said...

I totally want to come to your party and I just stumbled on you by typing something about couch fabric in google! You had me cracking up and I'm a yard saler too. Can get enough 'o 'dat stuff.

JoJo said...

Cougars generally need alot of attention so talk loud, laugh hysterically, and dance outrageously. Usually with their eyes closed so they don't have to acknowledge the young girls pointing and laughing.

Anonymous said...

cougar -- THAT is scarey, but I'll come up with something, because I'm NOT missing this one!

Anonymous said...

I say 30+ish older lady cuz it's usually the 18 year olds that are thinkin we're old. Even though I don't feel a day over 21. And boy can I bust a sexy move when the feeling takes over. GGRRRRRR!!!
Age means nothing when you enter into cougar territory!!

mmichele said...

i had to re-visit this post, because i wasn't sure if the ugly sweater party was planned in place of the cougar party or not. and just the other day i was out with joey and WE SAW A REAL, LIVE COUGAR in the middle of the afternoon. She was wearing very high leopard skin pumps with open toes and a v. tight skirt, and when her child asked for a turtle she said, "Oh yeah. And I just won a million dollar lottery." I did want to point out that the turtles were only $25 but thought better of it.

sometimes my mouth DOES listen to my brain.

kombizz said...

trying to find more about this animal within.