Sunday, September 23, 2007

No Screen Sundays


(just don't scroll down and notice that I'm writing this on Sunday. That would make me a hypocrite.)


Every fall and spring and new year, and possibly days in between, I get the undeniable urge to write down some goals and good intentions. Some directions to move into. Some intentional plans to pull into focus the rumbling, fumbling grey matter above.
*
At the end of August, I forced my sometimes pliable husband to sit with me and agree on some good intentions for our family life in the new school year. As much as I love screens, and couldn't possibly convince anyone that I'm above all that technology, pretty colours, lights, and sounds..... THEY DRIVE ME UTTERLY INSANE. I like to blame it on the fact that I grew up without any screens whatsoever. We never, ever had a television, and since humanity had just recently left the dank caves, home computers were unheard of. (unimaginable). I like to pretend that this has caused the inability in me to know what balance is. That I was raised on such purity that my "inner child" craves the silence (hah! eight kids!) and creativity of our farm house years.
*
So, I foolishly came up with the notion of "no screen Sundays". Not because my parents had taught me that cards and homework on the sabbath were sins, (they didn't.) not because I think it irreverent to humour hollywood on the Lord's day... well, I wish I were that holy but I'm not. I just thought that I wasn't really willing to make it Saturday since that's the day after Friday and some saturday mornings, there's nothing better than a bunch of brain dead kids in front of the tv and me not being side-show-daycare-lady for a change. So I picked Sunday. I also reasoned that we'd be more likely to remember undone homework due on Monday if the tv was off. And that out of sheer boredom and desparation, everyone would come to church with me instead of watching Bing and Bong in their underwear.
*
And its had the desired effect. Children get their homework done. (or sit and cry about their homework, but its a start, right?) Children haul out tape and crap out of the recycling bin and make tvs and computers for their play mobil people. (at least they're seeing some action...) Wildly stimulating and educational comic books get read. Block towers are built and conquered. The hamster's cage is cleaned. Flute practise gets done. Friends come by, dress up breaks into hysteria. Children actually ask to go visit grandma and grandpa.
*
BUT THE NOISE!!!
oh the noise.
*
I nearly succombed today. I nearly suggested that after they clean up the twelve thousand blocks, the fabric scraps, the milk jug lids, the shoes in the porch, the baskets of laundry and miscellaneous, the playhouse people, the markers, the waffle crumbs, and the bionicle pieces, that we should reward ourselves with an episode of America's Funniest Home Videos. Oh, how close did I come.
*
But thirteen odd years of trial and error parenting whispered in my ear..... You know where that will get you. Every sunday from now until eternity the children will use that as a bargaining chip. You know that you suck at saying no. You know that they will see your weakness and rub you with it.
*
So, I did the mature thing.
I made them all go to bed early, after doing all the housework.
*
Then I came down to use the computer in some peace and quiet.

6 comments:

Roo said...

YAH!!!!! i think that is a super duper cool idea. i'm gonna whisper it to my "sometimes pliable husband" and see if he agrees. (or at least agrees to go to sleep early so i can blog in peace and quiet. ;) )

Nancy said...

The world you speak of is so foreign to me. My house is ALWAYS quiet. Thanks for showing me a glimpse of what life is like for a busy mom.

Anonymous said...

that made me laugh. I can't wait until my kids can do housework!! I also can't wait to come up with weekly traditions too...like games night on Sundays...weeee

Anonymous said...

Sounds great, Joyce. Is that Dad with Kathy & Micah? We went to walk in the desert at Spruce Woods. Took Spirit Sands -- ah the scenery! Take a Sun. soon to do that with us, ok?

Bonnie said...

That sounds like a great idea, I don't need to suggest it to my "sometimes pliable husband" as he is still up north. Although I would actually have to go through with it all on my own, which may be more difficult. I think I'll give it a try any ways.

it's a gong show... said...

love it!