Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Gal Like Me Has Got No Right To Struggle With Depression


... or alternately, The Hills Are Alive With The Sound of Music.

(It just depends on how comfortable you are with pretending that life is a romantic adventure, or whether it relieves you to know that everybody's got shit and small potatoes to deal with.)

How well I remember that house on the hill where all was alive with the sounds of children, and kittens, the dog Daisy, the pretty hens, and the refreshing melodies of cascading gin.

Its time for a refresher course in all things rural, so I thought I'd unschool the children for a few days and haul them off, kicking and screaming, to spend a few days in paradise. Well, screaming with joy as they ride the moterless lawnmower down the hill is more accurate....

So, as if that's not enough to pull my chin out of my navel, tonight Brian and I are taking our daughters to Rainbow Stage to sit in the outdoor concert hall and experience the production of The Sound of Music. I've not been to the stage since I was a teenager so it goes without saying that the girls have never been. Julia Andrews is like an old family friend. I grew up adoring the story and although we never had a television, the Von Trapps felt like family from all the hours I'd spend lying on the living room floor listening to their sounds of music and studying the faces on the record album, pretending I was the youngest in that family instead of my own.

So, a few more hours to get on the old timecard, and then a chance to indulge in the last glorious days of summer.

My heart shall be blessed.... by the sounds of music.

16 comments:

gloria said...

Forget the girls, take me!

Anonymous said...

Such a great picture . Your going to love what we've done with the place Burnt down the barn, Re did the exterior with vinyl siding and planted pyrimidal cedars around the entire house. Oh yah did I mention that to pay our bills we subdivided that back 3 acres and they are presently building condominiums . Yes I thought you could also help me decide what furniture (overstuffed of course) to purchase as we emptied our house of all trinkets and bobbles as they just showed to much personality and We thought a clean sterile atmosphere was more condusive to our busy life style. Anyways please let me know the exact times that you will be arriving so as to let the gate keeper unlock the newly oversecured properties.

joyce said...

well, that was a little presumptious. Have you levelled the hill so I can park the SUV and 5th wheel comfortably? And what about access to hydro, propane, and running water so that we can camp comfortably? Is the pool properly heated, safety standards checked, pool staff fully qualified? Have you installed the automatic shower cleaner, with sanitizer? Do you have all the swiffer products, air purifiers, and have the hardwoods been safetied against splinter risk?

And the cedars- what a thoughtful gesture. You know those have always been a personal favorite. Especially after they acquire that goldish-brownish-deadish effect.

Please verify our reservations. Have the housekeeping staff spritz the pillows with lemon water, please. And have you reminded the chef that we're on half-Atkins, half-South beach?

Anonymous said...

pee. that's what happens when you laugh too hard at my age.....counting the minutes till you arrive.

Roo said...

"nothing comes from nothing
n-o-t-h-i-n-g ever coooooooould....
SO somewhere in my yooooooouth
or childhood.
i must have done something good....."


have fun tonight.

it's a gong show... said...

...i am sixteen going on seventeen...

have a blast tonight, i hope to get there with my girls next week.

Roo said...

"...i know that i'm naive....
fellows i MEET
may
tell me i'm SWEET
and willingly i believe....
i need someone older and wiser
TELLING ME WHAT TO DOOOOOOOOO....
you are 17 going on 18
I'll depend on you!"

Anonymous said...

Love the Sound of Music...I've seen it a few times at Rainbow Stage and it's always awesome, so "climb every rainbow, ford every stream"...and all that...Lindalew

Anonymous said...

or is that "climb every mountain , ford every stream" : ) : ) L

Judy said...

'many a thing you know you ought to tell her,

many a thing she ought to understand!'

I watched the movie last year, after not having seen it since I was a teenager. Oh. My. Goodness. Christopher Plummer...be still my beating heart!

And to think I'd thought he was an 'old man'.

joyce said...

And, I'll sing.... Once.... More.

I think I'll give that a good effort- climbing every rainbow. Not a bad idea. It can't be any harder than parenting or exercising or fitting nine days into a week...

Valerie Ruth said...

i dont think anyone ever feels like they have a right to struggle with Depression

Bonnie said...

...raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...

I took my girls on Wednesday night, we had a blast!!

Love the picture, looks like a fun place to be!!

gloria said...

I said I WANT TO GO!!!

*sigh*

I guess I am going to have to wander over there myself then!

gloria said...

Joyce, who says I don't want to go to both? (but for the record, I was talking about the play)

Alyssa said...

and... you have a wonderful babysitter to watch the boys :P