Friday, August 10, 2007

Shit and Spiders

Change and me make nasty bedfellows. So when the dominoes lined up, and God whispered in my ear repeatedly, it became clear that it was time for a move away from "life as we knew it". After sweating blood for a few weeks, we managed to get our old house sold. The house where our babies had come home to, had learned to crawl on the drafty hardwoods, and where Brian learned to make bread and eggplant relish. Our house wasn't exactly "on the wrong side of the tracks". It pretty much sat right on the tracks. A neighborhood with a reputation, you might say.


It was tough to move from an affordable house to the outskirts of the big city where the real estate market had already begun to get ridiculous. We viewed a lot of ugly places, and I often made that drive back to Brandon in tears, imagining the six of us landing up in a skunky trailer in the bush, waiting for the rapture.


But then God happened along in the form of my old mama. She called me up and in her squeaky voice told me that her sister, tante Marie and her were in the real estate business, and that tante's cousin had just put her house up for sale in a good little town not that far from the city. I listened politely but didn't think that much about it.


Well, after viewing a shack in a swamp for a whole lot of money, and a crumbling house surrounded on three sides by railroad tracks, a rushing river, and a highway, I figured.... What the heck? So we called up the cousin. She'd gone down to the local hardware store and outfitted herself with an orange "For Sale" sign and some duct tape, which she industriously used to slap that sign to the front door.


Long story short, it had to be a God thing. We could afford the house. The house was solid, it had lots of potential, and it was big enough for all of us. Once Brian pulled up the pink linoleum, the blue carpet, and the spindles out of the wall, the place increasingly felt like our home. He worked hard and long that summer, laying laminate floor (a far cry from our hardwood, but not bad nonetheless), getting our garage built, taping, pasting, and painting. I did my part too, unpacking boxes, keeping the kids happy, painting bedrooms, and in my spare time I watched several hundred Israelite potatoe bugs sojourn from the large Mennonite garden, across the street (where many met their maker) and away to.... ? the Mennonite church? It was all a bit of a mystery to me at the time, but in retrospect I see it for what it was.


A foreshadowing.


Little had I known what August would bring. Unprepared was I for this new land. Milk and honey? sure. We were a stone's throw from the bee capital and from several billion farms. But what I had not anticipated was this bounty's underbelly.


We had moved into the land of shit and spiders.


In August all inhabitants surrender their homes and belongings to the invasion of the spiders. They spin massive webs in every window and across every available surface. They obscure light fixtures. They linger outside my kitchen window and bare their fat bellies, dashing any of my illusions of squatters going hungry. They wait patiently for the Autumn Flies to shit on every inch of the siding, windows, walls and ceilings before they snare them in their webs. After all that defacating, the flies are tired and buzz around slowly, loudly, round and round my head like a cheap horrer film. Eventually they will surrender to their greedy Autumn partner, and do the dead man dance on the web outside my window.
I suppose its true that no good thing comes without its price. Its a great little town. The people are wonderful. The schools are stellar. There's lots of green space, and just a mile out of town is one of the prettiest sights in the world: a grain field. In August its covered in the most beautiful, golden bales. There's a duck pond beside it, and a lazy little creek. There are parks in the town, a fair to attend, and the friendliest grocery store and post office.
But never, ever forget. For one month in Autumn, the town belongs to the shit and the spiders.

13 comments:

mmichele said...

appealing...

i sent you an email and want to make sure you get it.

Nancy said...

hmmm...both of our most recent blogs had a similar theme. Is there a hidden meaning somewhere in all that shit?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your "real estate" mother found that house for you, and for all the hard work you put into it and now I guess the spiders and flies like to party there as much as the rest of us. I love you Joyce. Roselle

Anonymous said...

I am rolling on the floor, laughing over "landing up in a skunky trailer in the bush, waiting for the rapture."

That kind of sums up a lot of southern Manitoba, and a lot of my worst-case scenario nightmares.

- occasional reader

Roo said...

soooooo....
not only does she hunt down food to feed her family but she finds them a cozy nest AS WELL. sounds proverbs 31ish to me.

mothers amaze me.

Anonymous said...

I hear you!! This is why I always sat "I hate August".

gloria said...

I have been eyeing my house with thoughts of our pressure washer in mind recently too!

Spiders are useless, and they don't even TASTE good, no matter how chubby they are!

Romeo Morningwood said...

"I don't like spiders and snakes,
And that ain't what it takes to love me,
You fool, you fool."

Well I don't like where this Month is goin'..let's see...all that's left are the other August plagues: frogs, boils, gnats, flies, school supplies etc.

Spiders and doo-doo aside I love your house too. You and whatshisface have made it such a magnificent palace of laughter where you can be the Queen and the Court Jester at the same time!

I can only hum Pomp and Circumstance
((na nanana na-na,
nana nanana nana nana.
na nananana NA-NA,
NANANANANA NA-NA!))

Leanne said...

Hey, that sounds like our house. I'm here trying to convince the babe that spiders don't taste that great and wondering if the shit smell is going to cling to our clothes forever. And out here in 'Bring Cash' our house is probably half the size of yours and cost twice as much. Gotta love real estate.
Glad you're living somewhere you enjoy. Perhaps one day we can come see it...

joyce said...

You know, Leanne, that would be so fun. I know that we are relatively fortunate to still be in an "affordable" area of real estate. I honestly don't know how regular people manage in provinces that treat real estate like some vault of gold and silver. Even shit and spiders have their cost.

H.E. funny. I dreamt last night that I phoned your house and spoke to you and riddles about whether or not you make your own ice cream. Could it be a sign? This place could use some fresh laughter. The generater has been a little sluggish and we'll need a good supply of warm fuzzies to get through the winter. Never mind September when I send the King and the babes back to school. Ooooh, grumpy, whiney times, they are a'coming.

Gloria- pressure washer you say? Maybe I should hire that globe-trotting kid of yours to come over with the shit-blaster and get this dump cleaned up?

Ruth- I'm not the swiftest mare in the pen. It took me until today to recognize that you were referring to MY mother. I considered: spiders as mother, flies as mother, and myself as mother. None of them made sense. Duh. Yes, she is quite the ma.

Roselle- what a sweet comment. You gracious thing you, so mellowed by life and so full of laughter. You can help fuel our laughter generater, we're gonna need a party really soon.

Nance- are you allowed to say "shit" in Saskatchewan?! Here in Mb, its not considered "a swear" but I quickly learned some twenty years ago that in some provinces, its as bad as using the f-bomb. Maybe our one-time friends were right about me after all?

Anonymous said...

Make one wish for brick houses, no?

Anonymous said...

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I don't care about the shit. Those spiders would send me to the loony bin.

Anonymous said...

Nice little pitch for the "friendly grocery store"...very good L : )