Thursday, July 17, 2008

Giving Credit Where it is Due

I found myself wandering from stack to stack of fabric this morning, between cups of java, reading Hansel and Gretel to the kids, and putting a few stitches into a bag I'm working on as a birthday gift for Jane's friend. The living room floor is littered in fabric. My sewing room cupboard's doors are open; fabric spilling out onto the floor. My big table has crates on it, a temorary cubby system for more pieces. The floor is a minefield of the same.

And it struck me. Dave Sanderson. He deserves more credit.

If not for Dave, and the Winnipeg Free Press, I'd not have all these donations. All these glorious bits, and pieces, and stacks of texture and colour and design. He put the bug in the ear of all those generous people who held onto bags of stuff that they just did not want to throw out because they knew their value, even if they did not themselves sew. When that article came out on a Tuesday, I found myself thinking (selfishly....) who reads the paper on a Tuesday? But the province is abundant with people far more informed and intelligent than myself. People with fabric lining their basements. People who not only read the article, but then took the time to e-mail, say supportive things, and offer to donate fabric. And I can't even promise them a bag for their generosity. Not until I manage to stop sleeping, or get that 47 hour day in place.

So, thanks again Dave. You've got a pretty cool job- chatting it up with people, putting it all down in prose, and then letting the positive dominoes fall. Good news still does get published.

4 comments:

Roo said...

:)

Anonymous said...

I also thank Dave when I go to the library, and when I offer him my card, I always say "does that one have any fines on it?" and he always responds, (after pressing a few computer keys) "not any more".
carolyn

Anonymous said...

Joyce, didn't know where else to leave a comment to you, so here it is, Just wanted you to know my school account is not working these days...so if you have tried to send me a message.....
If you are trying to contact me....you can at my full name(first and last) at gmail. Thanks

Judy said...

You are 'good people', Joyce.