Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thursday at the Folk Fest

Day one of Folk Fest, and we're feelin' the love. Packed the kids up this morning and drove out to Birds Hill, getting more excited by the mile. Brian adored volunteering for la cuisine, much as I anticipated that he would. We spent our four hour shift chopping mushrooms, (regular, not magic), looking for the lid of something resembling a cuisinart, chopping fresh basil, and grinning like school kids. Four hours felt like four mushrooms. I kid you not.

Our children managed remarkably well, considering that there was nothing organised for them to do- no kids tent or entertainment up and running until Friday. They hung around, made crafts out of the styrofoam that they found in the recycling, played hide and seek under the picnic tables, and filled up on copius amounts of self-serve iced tea and mystery kool-aid.

I'll never confess to what I heard our youngest, our pride and joy, our last stab at producing a pure child shout gleefully on our way back to the van after our chopping shift came to an end. I'll never say; but might have gone something like this:
Father figure: "Did you have a good day, son?"
offspring: "kinda; not really."
Father figure: "How come?"
offspring: "cuz we didn't get to play any video games."

I am so going to get evicted from the community.
so.
evicted.

5 comments:

andrea said...

Yeah, but this is Folk Fest. What about the music??????

gloria said...

omg @ video games, ahahahahahahahaha! way to go smallest offspring!

joyce said...

sorry, Andrea. Such an under-cultured tit am I. Our first volunteer shift was actually before the music began. Tomorrow is tunes day. I'll still be under-cultured, but should we bribe Brian to write about FF?!

it's a gong show... said...

funny you should mention this "hypothetical" scenario.

i know someone who went to their uncle's farm (which is the best place EVER!) today and sat in the van and watched a movie.

let me know where you're moving to and we'll join ya...hee hee!

joyce said...

well.... let's just say that it won't be to Birds Hill Park. I don't think they'll have us. Or Wolsely. I think we'll get thrown out. Vegas?