Thursday, October 09, 2008

Small Town Living

Right now our town is going through some painful, painful stuff.

Information Released On Niverville School Lockdowns
Written by AM1250/Mix 96 News
Thursday, 09 October 2008


RCMP have released further information on why Niverville schools were locked down Tuesday. St.Pierre RCMP was contacted by Niverville Collegiate that a student had been threatened by her ex-boyfriend. The 17 year old male had also threatened the girl's family and indicated he had already shot someone earlier in the day. Police later located the teenager at his residence. He was very distraught and threatened to kill himself while in possession of an edged weapon. Police tasered the male and he was taken into custody without further incident. At this point, RCMP have been unable to establish the alleged shooting earlier in the day. The youth was taken to St.Pierre Hospital and later transferred to Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg for medical reasons. He is now in police custody and has been charged with uttering threats. Further charges are pending.



I love my town, and I love its people. I've been meaning to post this comment that I got a while back, and as an antibody to the sadness around us right now, I' ll post it right now. I think we can all use a little encouragement and good news.

This is in reply to “Perfect Autumn Weekend” and “Who Says Life In A Small Town Is Dull”

Living in a small town is the most awesome experience anyone, who is anyone, can have. People gather in small groups, in large groups, in whole community size groups, to do wonderful and unprecedented things! Let me explain…..Earlier this year we had bought shingles and we were going to re-shingle our roof, but when hubby had his heart attack we decided that we would wait until spring so that he would be able to help when the time came (so we got all the shingles delivered to our back shed - waaayyyy in the back yard). But of course some members of hubby’s hockey team decided that they would all love to do it (liars that they are!). So on Saturday, October 4th, my roof was inundated with a swarm, and I mean a swarm, of do-gooders!

Where can we get labour like this!!!!!!!!! All I had to contribute was food and beverages. They un-shingled and re-shingled the whole roof (along with some new vents) by 4:00 p.m.

Now that is what living in a small town is all about!!!!!!!!

So, if you share this town with us, or you live elsewhere, look around and do something useful for someone close to you.
Social issues and personal challenges exist no matter where you call home. So does the sense of isolation. But it doesn' t have to be that way.

7 comments:

Monica said...

I love the John Mellencamp song - Small Town. Always makes me think of the town I grew up in. And makes me smile.

I have many, many friends who couldn't wait/can't wait/desperately want to move out of their small town. I kind of get that, but I really, really think that by focusing on getting out of there .... they are missing the greatness, the loveliness, and all the good stuff of living in a small town. I didn't love everything about growing up (and living) in a small town, but I can either focus on what I hate about it, or focus on what I love about it. I love, love, love the memories I have of growing up in a small town.

Anonymous said...

I was one of those that hated living in a small town (rebel teen years), couldn't wait to get out.....well I was out for maybe two years - one was for secretarial college and the other was 1st year of marriage. Living in an apartment is waaayyyy different than living in a house....so it didn't take us long to decide to buy a house and move (I know it is not that monetarily feasible for our younger generation anymore - unfortunately!). We knew that we wanted kids and could not imagine them growing up in the "big city". So even though it took us 8 years before having kids, I was glad that we had made the move back, my kids love living in a small town (maybe they will change their minds when they are older...), but at least they will have the foundation of what it is to be part of a community. Every town has endured difficulties and every town has experienced joy! And in spite of what happened this week at school, let's just say a prayer and hope that everyone involved gets help and remains strong. MK

Cherrypie said...

Joyce, you have the ability to speak to me with what I need to hear, right when I need to hear it.

I've been feeling lonely and isolated, despite my constant schedule and social demands.

Last weekend my Dad and a few of his mates came and put a new roof on for me. It cost me some materials and a slap-up breakfast ( served nearer lunchtime but they were all the more appreciative).

It is all about community. I really envy any that has you at the heart of it.XXX

Romeo Morningwood said...

Small towns are simply a microcosm of cities and disturbing events such as the 'incident' are simply proportionately exposed at random.

You might be interested to know that there are more Citizens On Patrol Programs in rural Manitoba than there are in WhatEVERpeg.
My COPP group focusses on my little area, which to me, is like a small town...
and if you recall I did live in a small town during my formative years so I geddit.

Community can exist in an Apartment block or in the Space Shuttle. The secret is caring about other people and making an effort to help them in good times and bad...
and if you expect reciprocity you're cheating yourself out of something special.

Crystal said...

Great post Joyce. I love it when people put others before themselves. It makes all the difference!

I am keeping the family in my prayers also and hope that things turn out ok. I believe good people make bad decisions every day, and I hope this one doesn't have dire consequences for the rest of his life.

Roo said...

xo

joyce said...

Donn- I love what you said. Completely accurate.

Cherry- I can really relate to the feeling of loneliness. I am not lonely, but I feel it. There are some thoughts or feelings that cannot be identified or labelled, and so not easily shared with anyone. At times like that.... I try not to panic. Even though we are not perfectly heard or understood in this life, loving one another has so much hope and redemption inherent in it

Crystal- and lets overcompensate for the family to make them feel supported and not feared or judged.