Friday, January 06, 2006

"Me go fwimmin' and you go away..."

(Me go swimming, and you go away).

Sammy has been quite clingy lately, It started out with a negative experience at church nursery one Sunday, then he had the nightmare about being abandoned at the swimming pool. He woke up crying, and when I took him into bed with me for the rest of the night, he kept a firm grip on me, even in his sleep. He seemed utterly convinced for days that he really had been left at some swimming hole, although I told him gently each time that it was a dream and that mommy is with him. Sam doesn't like for me to go to the store, or outside to take out the garbage, or really even to use the word "go", even if his dad is at home for him. It doesn't help that the two times in recent history that we actually left him in someone's care he landed up bleeding profusely...

I don't mind being needed, and its a lovely thing to be someone's safe place. I know there is a lesson in here somewhere, or maybe its a simple case of my own insecurities being propped up, knowing that one little soul in the world really believes he can remain safe and secure, just by clinging to me.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I know that feeling well, Joyce. I can't help but enjoy it because I know my youngest will tell me he hates me and get an earring before too long. ;)

It's an honour to be someone's anchor.

WCTs said...

Let him cling now...because before you know it...he will be gone...attached to his own life and likely clinging onto another woman in his life!