Monday, March 13, 2006

Contrasts

Going away to recharge is really fantastic, but can anyone relate when I say that coming back is just crazy culture shock? It makes a person wonder if its useful to get away to gain perspective, or to just slog along machine-like and never know the joy of having a complete thought, a meal sitting down, or an entire conversation (at times spanning several hours) without falling asleep, or having to give someone a time-out or a snack.

As much as I anticipated the weekend, and dreamed of how good it would be, I will now hold onto the thoughts of it- the many things we laughed about, the things we learned about each other , the snowy walks, bad movies, and the totally unbelievable food that we enjoyed.

Among my favorites was the roasted vegetables and cous cous, spinach salad, fruit salads, black olive spread on flatbread, and hummous. My contribution to the entire weekend menu consisted of 5 grapefruits, a box of crackers, and a ring of camembert. That's the combined result of being last-born, and not having the early start to the weekend that I had planned on.

After food and company like that, its no wonder that potatoe stamping art and chocolate chip cookies just seem unreasonably harsh today.

Just 365 days till my next sister retreat.......

4 comments:

Cherrypie said...

I haven't had any tea tonight and the black olive spread bit has just made me consider driving to the 24hr Tesco.

I wish I had 4 sisters to do something like that. I've got 1 in London who is verging on the anorexic so I'd be lucky to get more than spinach-sans-dressing - and 1 who has just turned 10 so that would be pretty much like what you returned home to.

I'm baby-sitting Emily on Wednesday. Maybe I'll take grapefruit and camambert and see if we bond more than if I just play with her Bratz.

Anonymous said...

And here I was mourning the loss of my freedom last night.... AFter the thrift shop trip (yawning all the way there and back - from fatigue, not boredom) I couldn't do what I wanted to and go straight to bed. Instead I was interviewed about my family history by Shin, who will be asked about it in school by another ESL student. Of course we ended up having a great conversation, and I felt something close to guilt for feeling so selfish that I wanted to forego it...... And I don't have to get Shin a glass of milk or put him in a time out!

Celena said...

"Lucky!!" (as said in a Napoleon Dynamite voice)

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Sometimes when I come back from vacation I can't believe how busy my regular life is.