Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Things that make you say: "Hmmmmmm....."

I previously mentioned that coming home has been quite a shock. I honestly wonder how I deal with this level of noise and activity day in and day out. Its like I got out on a day pass, remembered who I am, then got tossed back in with the lions. I caught myself envying the cat today until I noticed she was laying in the sun, and licking her own rear end.

Is it a coincidence that I came home on Sunday, then broke out into inexplicably itchy hives on Monday? I got the same thing last year about this time, and remember wondering if it was an allergy to the hamsters, but we've since purchased and killed dozens of them, and the hives have not been consistent with their life spans.

I think its time I faced the facts. Its not the hamsters, or the cats. I am allergic to this notion that people have of me. Millions of people in my circle of influence think that I can meet all of their needs. When they are hungry, I will feed them. Sad? I will cheer them. Lonely? Hug them. And on and on it goes.

The shock of going from 48 hours with fully functioning, relatively intelligent, and self- sufficient adult women to this other pool of people (Who will go unnamed to protect their privacy and their pride) is JUST TOO MUCH. Its enough to make me break into oozing hives and slowly scratch myself to death.

Either that, or I'll have to sprout some fur and learn to lick my own bum. It's an option that allows me to stay in my home, laying on a comfortable old quilt in the sun, responsible for no one and never faking enthusiasm.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspite of the pit you are in at the moment. I think you are one of the funniest people I have ever met. You truly are my Anne Shirley.

Christy said...

I can relate. I had a thought pass through my mind of *envy* after reading that a lady I knew was caught during her vacation in N.O after Hurricane Katrina...the thought crossed my mind "It's not that bad, she only had to take care of herself". *smacks forehead*

I seriously need a break when I start to think that running for your life in a city in ruins would be easier than taking care of demanding little people. Sheesh.

Colin and I rarely take a break away from ouir kids unless it can be more than 48 hours (so that's code for 'it never happens'). Anything less than that is not enough time to decompress and get my perspective back.

I know my family thinks we should take what we can get, but I have found I can't go back after a couple of hours and feel refreshed. It takes my brain so much longer to relax.

Anonymous said...

"slowly scratch myself to death" Hilarious! I wish I had a video clip of another one of Joyce's lines last weekend at THE sisters weekend. We were discussing some of the items banned for air travel. One of them used to be nailclippers. Joyce said "What do they think we'll do with them, clip someone's jugular?" And then she proceeded to act it out on herself. I could hardly breathe for laughing so hard.

andrea said...

Just as long as you can retain your keyboarding skills when you're a cat then lick your bum all day for all I care! :)

Anonymous said...

the whole cat licking her own bum thing is just too funny! You make me laugh! You are a gift.

Anonymous said...

But was the cat's bum watery?