Sunday, August 06, 2006

Near-Immersion Therapy

Spending lots of time with my family of origin has gelled my theories of rampant hereditary mental health issues. Few are affected sufficiently enough to be hospitalized, and no one has had the good fortune to experience electric shock therapy, although I must confess, I've done my best to achieve that goal, hoping that it would jar both sides of my brain into communicating with one another. Shy of that dramatic a treatment option, some family members have opted for a more conventional idea: therapy.

This is an approach that I heartily endorse, especially if you have bags of disposable income cluttering up your family room. However, if you find yourself and your wallet squeezed between your clamouring, hungry children and a cluttered house that insists on being paid for, then allow me to present to you a treatment option recently discovered by my big sister and I.

August long weekend is traditionally "Kehler" weekend at my brother's cabin in Lake of the Woods, Ontario. My brother is a mature professional who spends 11 months of the year solving real global problems, at times drawing on his original training as an accountant.

Then he goes to the lake.

Which brings me back to the idea of treatment options. While more sensible, better councelled, more medicated family members lounged responsibly and age-appropriately on the dock, my middle-aged sister and I boarded a speed boat with our brother at the helm. I say who needs shock therapy when you can let a repressed accountant let loose on his 5 weeks of holidays and blow about fifty bucks in fuel and three quarters of the ozone layer zooming around in circles on the lake then speeding recklessly over the ridges created by the wake.

Yes, indeedy. My sister screamed every offensive and anxiety provoking thought and feeling out of her bouncing body until we heard them ricochet off the surrounding woods. She laughed laughs never heard before this side of eternity. Every syndrome, disorder, and maligned thought pattern swiftly and succinctly healed by the catharsis evoked in that speed boat.

Near-immersion therapy.

13 comments:

Bobita said...

Laughing, hysterically!

I can almost see the three of you buzzing about the lake, shrieks and flowery words flying!

What fun...much more so than actual shock therapy!

andrea said...

So much for your sister: what did *you* do? (I hope the sister was Carlotti.) As for this being an alternative to sitting and pouring one's soul out to a smug, overpaid therapist who uses your pain to exploit her agenda (theoretically of course) then I'm all for it.

Carlotti said...

Alas, the Carlottie sister is still recovering from the experience of being pulled behind the boat of such brother a few years back..... Never having enjoyed the wild midway rides, I abstain from these as well.

joyce said...

This post actually refers to my oldest sister, and not Carol. There are 5 sisters; 3 brothers. Oldest sister and I came up with this treatment option as a more affordable alternative to sisters fortunate enough to have health coverage, or bags of money. Fortunately, we all have demented senses of humour, and no one gets offended by these ridiculous posts!

Roo said...

yah!!!! HA! so fun. i can just picture it.

my siblings and i have used the "dancing on the couch" technique for those days when stress hits dangerous levels. we have been known to stand on the arms and back of our couch - WHILE AT THE SAME TIME singing and dancing. (while my dad lays on the same couch reading his book oblvious to the mahem around him!!!) i might have nearly failed math class but ya can't say i'm not gifted "cordinately" speaking. :)

ps i left you a little bag on your door today. i hope you are not gone for the week, (more immersion therepy sessions to schedule?) else you will return to a moldy surprise packet! :)

paulmerrill said...

GREAT stuff!

My wife spent many summers at Lake of the Woods growing up, but then her grandfather sold the island - without telling anyone. Sad.

Christine said...

That's so wonderful. Exactly what was needed. My kinda therapy!

Anonymous said...

Joyce...FABULOUS, Fabulous...fabulous. I can't touch your kind of writing talent - but I LOVE reading it. I've been on that tube, but that was a few summers ago. I remember the noise and feelings, so I say, right on, you're absolutely RIGHT ON - correct with your version of life at Caribou with Al. I'm so glad I've got "other strengths" to feel good about, your writing is incredible. Never stop, this is too much fun. Another not crazy sister............

paulmerrill said...

Thanks for the encouragement via your comment on my site. Great reminder for me to leave that paternalistic attitude at the door!

Anonymous said...

Mel prefers "merging" to "near-immersion therapy". That's all he said to your blog and a few smiles.

Anonymous said...

Some clarification. There were very few actual words flowing - mainly hysterical laughter and shrieking. In "The Green Mile" the huge "prison guy" sucked sickness and hurt out of people. When he expelled this ugliness later, it looked like millions of bugs were being released out of his mouth. This was our healing Green Mile. After the ride, I honestly felt happier and more healed than I had in a while. Five days later my stomach and arm muscles still hurt, but it was SO worth it! Just thinking about it sets my endorphins dancing.
Thanks Joyce, for your marvelous idea, and Al, for making a success of your life so Joyce and I could use your boat, gas, tube, and driving skills for our personal, affordable therapy.

Linda said...

Wow. Does that sound like fun! Thanks for your comment on my blog.

esther said...

loved your post so much i HAD to send it to my older sister!!!