Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I am, I want, I wish, etc.

I am bored and incredibly content, all at the same time.

I want to spend a lot of someone else's money ordering really neat organizing stuff from IKEA or Lee Valley and organize the garage, the garden shed, the basement, the inside of my head....

I wish for all people to learn to be less petty, more gracious, less judgemental, less afraid. (including myself)

I love vintage. I love finding an old dish, linen, card with a meaningful message in it in someone's handwriting. I love the fur on a cat's face, right up to its funny little mouth, and all around the eyes. I love toddlers when they learn words, and start to stick them together in unique ways. I love old wood, old picket, old buckets, old pots. I love enamel, china, quilts. I love people. I love the prairies.

I miss Rosa, Pam, and Lory so much that it physically hurts. This is joyfully painful because even three years after moving, I can't believe or forget how much they mean to me, and how I want to be in their presence, how I want to watch them raise their children, tend their gardens, hear them laugh, learn their wisdom.

I wonder why I feel confused much of the time. I wonder why I was chosen to have such a blessed life- decent parents and siblings, a secure childhood, a safe country, a loving husband, beautiful, talented, and whole children.

I regret all the time I've squandored believing lies. Lies about who culture says I should be, what I should look like. I regret all the energy I have spent either trying to become the lies, or trying to talk myself out of wanting to become the lies.

I am not book smart. After a grade 12 education majoring in the humanities, and a history minor at University, I only remember that there were a couple of big wars that killed a lot of people. And I still don't understand it at all.

I dance so badly, that I no longer pretend that its something I could learn to do. It all got repressed out of me at a very young age, and the only sort of dancing I aspire to do for the rest of my life is some lovely romantic ballroom with my very graceful and coordinated husband. That way I can just follow his lead, blame him with things go badly, and enjoy that earthy smell of skin and Hugo Boss on his neck.

I sing with great enthusiasm. When I sing in community I am whole. It gives me hope for humanity.

I cry ever so easily, whenever I feel passionately about anything, or anyone.

I am not coordinated. No one with any sense wants me on their team.

I make with my hands: lots of peanut butter and nutella sandwhiches, pillows and quilts, children's clothing, ecclectic backpacks and handbags,and great, sweeping motions.

I write because I am. It clears my mind. It makes me laugh.

I confuse most things. I get confused about theology, about human nature, mathematics- any numbers, in fact.

I should be more anal. I should set the table for breakfast, know what the after school snack will be, know where my keys and wallet are. I should be running again. What little muscle mass I had acquired below the belt has sagged back into ripples and dips. I should accept myself anyway, just the way I am and be a little less cruel to myself.

I finish my son's drippy ice cream cones instead of ordering one for myself.

How about you?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love finding a cool color of paint under the glossy white paint of an old table chair stair... and I know you do to that's why we're so cool. I also love getting great packages in the mail, waiting till my afternoon coffee to open it , just because it lasts longer and you recognize the return address as someone dear. I love finding a box of the most adorable chickens handled on earth and feeling wet drips land on my shoulder. Without looking I know its a little girls drole falling from her mouth as she looks and the chickens with as much delight as her mother. I love you Joyce.

joyce said...

Rose- see the part about crying easily.....
thank you! I've read this a few hundred times now, and it cheers me each time!

Romeo Morningwood said...

It has come to my attention that your symptons are what we at the Coppensian Institute of Psycho/analytical/thingamabobs commonly refer to as 'Normal'.

However I would add, and I hate to get all technical here but, you are much 'NICER', than the average person and this can cause problems. I'm afraid that your 'NICENESS' appears to be incurable. You are just going to have to learn to live with it.

Carlotti said...

Beautiful post Joycie - I'm so glad your disease is incurable, because I wouldn't want you any other way.

Loads of love from your (also weepy at 8:20 a.m.) sister.

Carlotti said...

P.S. I HAVE spent a lot of money ordering lovely things with which to organize my house. I don't exactly know where they are, because my house is not exactly organized. It's that tendency to think that "some other time" is much more suitable than the present.

joyce said...

HE: You couldn't have been any NICER. Do we have the same prognosis?
Carol: It's painful, living life in full colour.

Shaunta said...

What a great post, Joyce! I enjoyed reading it :) It made me take a minute and realize how much I enjoy waking up at 6 a.m. with my baby girl and watching the Wiggles with her while I catch up on my blogs, and all the loud people sleep. Ruby always spends that half hour standing next to me as I sit at the computer, facing away with her hand on my knee and her bottle in her mouth, enjoying her show. And I wonder, how did I get so lucky?