Saturday, December 15, 2007

Coming off Heroin

her·o·in [ hérrō in ]
noun
Definition:

addictive narcotic: a white powder derived from morphine that is a highly addictive narcotic drug. It is prohibited for medical use in most countries. ( often used before a noun ) a heroin addict
[Late 19th century. < German]
Spelling Note
heroin or heroine? Do not confuse the spelling of heroin and heroine, which sound similar. Heroin is an addictive drug, as in heroin users, an overdose of heroin. A heroine is a brave woman or girl or the main woman or girl character of a novel, play, or movie.

It started on a bicycle, on the cusp of winter, cycling away from a band concert carrying three bags of miscellaneous things that apparently were vital to my very survival. The car had been stolen from the exit of the school gym by its rightful owner and I'd jumped out of the van my relatives were driving when I recognized the inherent danger therein. I made my way across the frozen lake, into a grove of trees that would serve as our shelter through the night. The bags had multiplied into a backpack, a tall hat, dress shoes, mittens, and three babies. I sat at the edge of the lake, washing mittens until daybreak while the babies guarded the bicycle. That's when we noticed that the lake had thawed and we'd never make it to the discount grocery store for chocolate chips in time for a tour of the museum in fifteen minutes.

Have to find another way.

We began to hike into the trees, picking parsley for sustenance and trying not to lose infants in the underbrush. That's when we saw the old farm "half-ton" truck. A little rusty, reminiscent of dad in healthier days, and clearly not an off road vehicle.

But I had to play the trombone at the museum. Or I'd lose my job. and there was that miniature chest of drawers at that out-of-the-way thrift shop for only four dollars. There was no denying it. I would have to find a way out. A way to survive.

I had no keys. I had three babies. I'd lost my mittens.

And it begs the question:

heroin or heroine? Heroin is an addictive drug, as in heroin users, an overdose of heroin. A heroine is a brave woman or girl or the main woman or girl character.........


5 comments:

gloria said...

your dreams are nuts!

Anonymous said...

Been there too, only different. Frantic and overwhelming. Laura

Anonymous said...

So glad I rarely dream in which I remember the dream, but it gave you a good post.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, should have at least signed my name under the anonymous tag..

Evie

Nancy said...

oh my...i hope you're laughing as hard as i am at your dream!
definitely a heroine coming off heroin type of dream...