Thursday, December 06, 2007

A Few Found a Good Home


I've had an irrational fear of my fabulous forty buttons from Lettuce getting mixed up with all my other millions of buttons and then I'll never remember which ones could have belonged to the queen, and which ones could have belonged to the pioneers.
So, since my birthday is quite close to the Christmas season, it seemed logical to use some of them on my Christmas stocking. They were introduced to the lace from my baptism dress this afternoon, while I forced the children to rest. I sat in the south window, in the deceitfully warm winter sun, and stitched a little love. I thought of Lettuce, the loss of her mother to cancer, what her words meant to me when my brother was dying of cancer. And I thought about turning forty. What amazing people I have in my life. How much I love working at home.
How pretty buttons are.

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Beautiful!

Bonnie said...

That's a beautiful stocking Joyce, you are talented!!!

Mills' Memoirs said...

What a gorgeous stocking...you are the queen of creativity!

esther said...

my gosh joyce!!!
how do you do it?!?!?

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful Joyce...you are one talented mama...Lindalew

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful stocking.

gloria said...

Wow, what a treasure. Imagine handing that down to one of the children many years from now. Mom's baptism lace and the buttons from the queen's nickers.

lettuce said...

thats wonderful! what a lovely way to use them. my great-aunties knickers maybe. the queen's? less likely.

i thought of you today too, and your loss and how your words have helped me - we went to a hospice remembrance carol service, and sang and cried and remembered.