Monday, December 10, 2007

On Loving People

I've come across a few instances in my blogging life where people choose to go into the "witness relocation program", pack up their virtual online life, and start all over again somewhere else under an assumed identity. Either that, or just sort of vanish. Its not difficult to understand. Talk about a platform for worldwide misinterpretation and vulnerability- providing an oppurtunity for every tom, dick and harry to tell you what your problem is and why you should take it elsewhere.

But there's more than one parallel to "real life". Who doesn't hide behind something? Who isn't afraid on some level of people's judgements, hatred, misunderstanding?

Life as a human is chock full of relationships. And it doesn't take any amount of insight to know that loving people is a quagmire of complications, subject to perspective bound interpretations.

Which brings me to God, and love, and authenticity. The more you allow life to grow you, the more people you love. The more people you allow into your heart, the more your heart expands to allow for the numbers. The more people taking up your heart space, the more you realize how much pain, ugliness, disappointment, and sorrow there is in this life. The more you recognize its existance, the more you want to be useful in some capacity, to ease the pain, to be part of a solution, but ironically, you simultaneously realize that you can "help" no one, that you are utterly bound in your own selfishness and stunted desires and distracting mind games.

Which brings me back to God. And back to the question about how do we people want to live these lives we've been given? I've got to say, that for myself, despite the pain and sense of powerlessness, I wouldn't have it any other way- at least when I think of the richness brought about through human relationships. What wealth we share in terms of beauty in a whole bunch of broken people desiring to give one another a hand up and a shoulder to cry on, and some stuff to laugh about- Together. It provides a sense that God is very creative and makes all sorts of different people for all sorts of different reasons.

On Sunday at church, I listened to a fitting teaching about God and His sense of direction. How the Spirit of Jesus speaks in ways we can each hear. Through the boredom, the monotony, the looooooong stretches of life where no miracles or "breakthroughs" occur in your life. Where you are angry, disillusioned, mad at God, not sure any more why you are compelled to follow that "still, small voice" since it doesn't seem to be taking you into any euphoric mountaintop places or even into a place of endless patience with your spouse and children. But I got a picture of prayer moving things in the spiritual that goes beyond my sense of immediacy and my desired results. I saw a picture of us all being interlocked in varying and creative ways. That a loving heart- a heart that loves God, hurts when others hurt. Cries when others cry. Lends a hand.

How does this relate to the witness protection program? Here's how I see it. We ought not be too quick to judge others, or to offer them really valuable advice, unless it compells relentlessly from that place deep inside. People's pain won't disappear because of a seven point address on why they are hurting, what they did wrong to get hurt in the first place, and how to turn into a better person so that they don't keep getting hurt. I think our good intentions to make people feel better often drives them away. Sends them into hiding. Then we can pretend that they are not hurting anymore, because we don't have to listen to it any more. i think that a more accurate truth is that we are all mixed up all the time. We all struggle with something. We all stumble over some repetitive theme til we want to scream and run for the hills.

And we all have the capacity to listen. To tune into how to love one another. It's bound to be flawed. Its bound to be painful.

But would you really have it any other way?

14 comments:

Nancy said...

thanks for your insight and wisdom. i loved this post!

Melissa said...

yup, yup, yup - especially the parts that reveal how ugly we/I am ...

Anonymous said...

Very well said Joyce...Lindalew

Judy said...

We are all a pretty little mess, aren't we? I love being with people who KNOW that.

LOVE this post.

LOVE this Joyce person, too!

Bonnie said...

Hey Joyce, I loved that sermon too. I told P. that hands down this was his best sermon to date. I've been there..I've wanted to chop down those trees and make a raft and get out, but then God came through and showed me, things are changing, it is getting better, just relax...

Good post! Love ya'

Romeo Morningwood said...

The core word in LIFE is IF.
Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda.

Leanne said...

Well no, I guess not...

Interesting thoughts, Joyce, thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

very well said indeed - it's scary to drop that mask and be real -- that pain and fear and failure are hiding behind it -- but something beautiful happens every time I take the risk. God has blessed me with a great group of friends -- we meet every week for coffee & prayer-- and let those masks go. That is the only way to love and be loved in our flawed world.

joyce said...

the more I learn about people's pain, the more overwhelmed and grateful I am with regard to the truly good people in my life.

And, Brenda... I know that you are one of those authentic, real, true lovin' kinds of women. I've known that for many years, through what my older siblings have told me, but I feel honoured to see a picture of that myself.... through this unlikely venue.

Linda said...

Wise, honest words Joyce. Thanks for sharing them.

gloria said...

*wonders what prompted this post*

Roo said...

I've come across a few instances in my blogging life where people choose to go into the "witness relocation program", pack up their virtual online life, and start all over again somewhere else under an assumed identity.
i haven't just wanted to do this virtually but irl as well. :)

Queenheroical said...

fan-freakin-tastic!

-Krina

Anonymous said...

Yep. Goes with what Larry Crabbe says in his book "Soul Talk". We're all a mess AND we're forgiven. Let's do life together and let's actually listen.