Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Christian Sales Pitches

I just read a "22 Minutes style" post about the super-spiritual-ness of Jesus paraphanalia. The watch that has a cross as an arm. The stuff out there that we can buy so that we apparently look more committed to our faith or something.

And it made me remember what's been on the back burner of my brain for many years, and especially over the past few days. Does anyone else think its weird or curious that of all the hundreds of laws and guidelines and suggestions that the old testament is stuffed full of, there remains one that apparently still applies just as perfectly today as it did in the days before Christ?

I'm referring to the concept known as titheing. Where the current day Jesus believer gives ten percent of his or her income to "God". Now, I've heard it say, that the Bible also teaches that this ten percent is to be given to your local church. (I guess that is where God is?) That if you choose to give money to soup kitchens, starving orphans, youth going on work trips, etc, that these funds should be above and beyond your ten percent tithe amount.

Now, this makes good business sense. It's also good common sense. The church is about the community and its needs. Its about love and giving a hand up to anyone who needs it. So, you need money for the church. The pastoring people need money. The hydro people need money. The youth people need money. The library needs money. Even the bathroom needs money. And its pretty handy to figure that the Bible says that all the people who come into the church and depend on it, should give ten percent of their income. That amount would likely cover the cost of tp and paying employees, and it goes without saying that we'd like to see those things happen. (nothing worse than the old drip-dry method....)

But it really gets my goat when all kinds of other stuff gets attached to giving money in church. I can't stand it when someone says; "God can't bless you if you don't give". I generally have to hold onto both sides of my seat so that I don't jump up and yell; "Oh, yeah? I'm pretty sure that God can do whatever He wants!" And to be honest, I'm not real thrilled to hear all about "what's in it for me". How, suddenly I'll have "the socks blessed off me". (if I didn't, and I was genuine about giving.... well then I'd give anyway. I wouldn't be giving to see what I'd get out of it).

I don't exactly think that none of it is true, so that's not why it bugs me so much.

I was talking to a friend about this, and I like the word picture he drew for me. It was about a hand clutched tight around a penny. Closed. How giving opens up movement in the universe. And when there is movement, there is usually enough. Or maybe it just takes your fearing mind off of hoarding for yourself.

Maybe we should sacrifice some goats or something.
Weird, when someone says that, isn't it? So how come the guys who followed Jesus around, plus Jesus himself, didn't teach on titheing? I know the short answer, and its that Jesus asked not for ten percent, but for everything. And that would be tougher to talk about as the offering basket is going around.

I'm not a bible hero by a long stretch. In my experience of life, I've had long periods of time where I have given that specific ten percent amount. I've not given. I've also given without keeping track. I've chosen to try and pay bills and groceries and not given much at all. I've given to causes, to churches, to schools, to people. And there is no remarkable difference in my wallet.

Because I happen to think that God is not nearly that fickle. And I think that if I were "accountant" enough to clearly give ten percent, then I'd probably be accountant enough to be really stellar at keeping up the books. If I was stellar at that, there would probably be "enough". Because I would probably be more intentional about how the money got spent.

Am I saying that God has nothing to do with money?

Nope.

I just think that a lot of us rich North Americans are always looking for linear constructs to attach to the spiritual. That there must be more to giving than getting. That maybe we need to concentrate on a bigger God. That maybe the world is now our neighbor, and there's a whole lotta lovin' that needs to be done.

Any thoughts? Or did I just marr a sacrificial lamb here?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I very much agree with your article...I refuse to think in terms of percentages...I give where ever and whenever I sense
God wants me to...I find percentages just screw me up...and it very often stops people from giving where God is nudging them to give...hate that idea of "now I gave my 10% and now I'm good to go", and in the process miss out on the people God is really speaking to you about...besides I'm married to Guy and he gives without thinking or trying to figure it out, so numbers would never work for him....L

joyce said...

L, I like your heart. And I'm so glad you heard what I was trying to say.

Anonymous said...

I truely beleive that the OT law was given to Gods children to show them that they could not keep it. Only relying on God can we breath, grow and yes even see who needs and than give. The church in Corinth gave more than they had and they were dirt poor. They got it. God is the one who gives even the love and compation that is needed to make it true giving. Sometimes I think that that 10% was placed there because were are so helpless. We instruct children to say sorry even when they don't know what it means. As they grow it is no loger a habit but compation takes over and they say it because they feel it and want to make things better. I pray I will be able to see the needy and what to make things better like Christ did . Not just make them 10% better.

Roo said...

good post joyce! i liked this line: I know the short answer, and its that Jesus asked not for ten percent, but for everything. And that would be tougher to talk about as the offering basket is going around.

.

gloria said...

i, too, am totally hearing you on this one. i understand completely that the privelage of meeting in a lovely church, such as yours and mine, comes with the responsibility of upkeep, but i think that there are just certain degrees to which some can give and others give. its' like the "village to raise a child" saying, everyone has something different to offer. some have bags of cash that they love to tithe, others have special talents or time, but everyone gives what they can for the good of the body.

Crystal said...

I totally agree. I give wherever there is a need. That's what Jesus did.

it's a gong show... said...

I totally believe in the concept of tithing. We all know that it takes money to run the "physical" church and that we as the congregation are responsible for that. Having said that, I also believe that you need to give when the Holy Spirit tells you to give. Not when there is extra money in the account but when He tells you to. I think that a lot of the idea behind tithing is Faith. I think that any giving whether it be of your time, resources, love, etc. is tithing. I don't think that God is counting every penny that you are giving to your local church and blessing you dependent on that. Sorry I'm rambling but just one more thing...define the local church. I think that in Bible times the definition was so different than it is now.

I'm Guy's daughter (see above anonymous signed L) we were taught from as far back as I can remember to give and to give with a happy heart because you genuinely care and not to receive anything back.

Guess this one really hit home with me. Thanks Joyce!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're preaching to the choir with this post. Amen to your thoughts.
It really saddens me that many churches still rely on the tithe rather than God to meet their 'needs'. If everyone gave as the Holy Spirit led them to, the churches would have more than enough.
Here's another thought...what about the wonderful but debilitating tax receipts that the government hands out for your donations? What if we weren't limited to where we give by the government? What if the Holy Spirit asked us to buy a new queen size bed for a needy family in our church or neighbourhood? Or what if the Holy Spirit asked us to annonomously pay someone's rent? Oh but wait, no...God wouldn't ask us to do that because we can't get a tax receipt for a new bed. And right, I forgot...if we paid someone's rent then the church couldn't pay THEIR mortgage. We truly are people of little faith.

p.s. sorry if i'm too cynical...

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of "giving" is not financial but it comes in many forms. I like the 10% as a guideline, but I certainly don't like to be bound by it.