Saturday, January 26, 2008

Permission To Exist

Yes, Hello. I am here to apply for "Permission To Exist". As I understand it, thus far I've been getting by on a Limited Access Pass. It works out all right, but it can be a bit of a hassle. There is a lot of time and effort and energy spent standing in lines getting stamps and permission slips for some of life's rides. The review board schtick is getting a bit tiresome as well. It would make things a lot simpler if I had immediate access to all my potential, and maybe if I could get the lifebank statements sent directly to me, that would be more straightforward as well? A lot of these folks who've been on these boards for long enough for tenure really need to move on. I think it's a system that has seen better days.

Right, so. What do I have to do to get on with the process? Oh, you say its mostly internal? And that I already have the handbook somewhere? And what's that you say? That people will always disapprove and want to silence you but that its up to you how you respond?! Huh. Well, that's kind of sobering.

Uh, huh. Yes.... I think I'd still like to apply for that "Existance" pass.
Sounds kind of scarey, but then again, so is the fear of the unknown....

1 comment:

Bobita said...

I know this application process of which you speak.

My unsolicited advice is: step out of the line, tear up that application, break the rules, color outside the lines...and ask *no one* for permission.

Loretta LaRoche, a Stress Humorist, talks about this thing she calls "The Committee" that we all have. The Committee is the internal monologue that runs through our mind, shutting us up, making us doubt ourselves, making us feel shame, making us feel like we need permission to be our true selves... LaRoche suggests that we just tell our Committee to shut the hell up.

[Imagine Bobita. She is in the middle of a crosswalk downtown, her Committee jabbering on and on in her head about what a Crapfest of a woman she is. So Bobita stops. In the middle of the crosswalk. And (out loud) tells her Committee to shut the f*ck up. They listen. For a while, at least.]

Whenever They act up again and start whispering *sweet nothings* in my ear, I remind to shut up.

LaRoche has some great videos that you might have at your local library, if you are interested. Or google her.

And, I wanted to tell you that the black & white picture of you in your sidebar is awesome. From what I know of you, the picture seems to represent you perfectly. Warm, comforting, beautiful, loving. I love it.