Monday, January 28, 2008

Letting Go of the Past

I've always been a journaler. I have a stack of notebooks scrawled full of crushes and questions, anxieties, diets, plans, and numbers. Lots of numbers. I've always valued the fact that I kept these journals, imagining what insights and memories I could gain at some other, older point in my life walk. This morning I had reason to dig up that stack of journals to hunt for some of those apparent insights.

But I mostly found numbers.
The numbers related to the scale, or how many bread servings or cookies I had guiltily consumed that day. These numbers were interspersed with self-hatred, self-doubt, anxiety, fear, and all manner of harsh intentions to change into something, someone, who I was not.

I had no desire to reread any of this nonsense. The only wisdom I came away with was stuffing all those notebooks into a garbage bag and saying good-bye to that stunted girl forever.

There are valuable lessons to take away from this huge stranglehold on my life. And here's what they are. We are not our body. Food is good, creative, and a wonderful sensory pleasure to be taken full advantage of. The human body is an excellent vehicle to drive into the ground, with the sole intent of living life with all it has to offer- all that God has for us.

If I seem preoccupied with the topic of women and their bodies right now; its because I am. I am working on organizing a support group dealing with food and body image. My desire is to provide a forum for supporting women in learning to listen to and trust the intrinsic wisdom of their God-given body, and thereby come to a place of peace in their relationship to food and their body.

We have a choice in our culture. We can be in the world and of the world- Accept what Hollywood says about us as true. That we cannot be trusted. That we cannot be of any significance unless our body is sleek and thin. Or we can become the voices for the alternative. That we are all different in our beauty. That we are powerful, and able to make great impact in our circle of influence. The more we choose the voices and attitudes that support our belief in our power, the quieter the voices of pressure for thin or muscley can become.

And this is my choice. I choose to empower others. I choose not to join in the guilty whispers in the buffet line of life. I choose to define myself by a different standard than Shape and Cosmo.

And I hope you'll do the same. I know that I'll have many times of doubting these decisions, and I could use a strong, sensible woman or two to turn to.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I'd love to become part of a body image support group. I love what Dove is doing but our culture needs more. I have sooooo many ideas.

Roo said...

YEAH!!!!! i am totally encouraged and inspired by your post.

the part where you shared about chucking those journals reminded me of a past moment in my life. i rounded up all those "sentimentals" and had me self a big ole' bonfire. it was a day of celebration.

andrea said...

Sometimes one piece of info will stick in my brain and cause full scale panic. Like the 'over 32" waist and you're in trouble' one. I think I'm in trouble.

Linda said...

This. Is. Good.

Anonymous said...

You are very brave and very strong and I admire you
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Well I am strong (I do lift heavy boxes at work)and extremely sensible so what can I do for you girl? : ) Lindalew (must stick with my full name just too many L's and Linda's popping up)

Heather Plett said...

It's a good, good thing you're doing.

Anonymous said...

I am convinced that there is not a woman out there in today's culture that does not struggle with these issues to some degree. One of the main topics of women my age (a full decade+ more than you!) is how unsatisfied they are with their bodies, and how wonderful it would be to just lose weight somehow! And we wonder why our daughters would develop eating disorders. Something has changed -- my grandmothers were both heavy women -- neither of them seemed to worry about it -- it was seen as a natural part of aging (mind you, they ate healthier because 'junk' was not so available everywhere, and they did work hard). Their society valued them because of their contribution as wives and mothers who worked hard raising their families. Somehow we have lost this -- society now values women(inspite of feminism) for their youth and beauty, we have become objects of desire who must preserve their bodies at any cost. Maybe your group can work to reverse this! Great idea, much needed.

joyce said...

Terrifying.
Overwhelming.
Keep prodding, please.

mmichele said...

prod prod prod.

Anonymous said...

Too often we as women become isolated in our struggles. We pretend that we are 'fine' and all too often ignore what's really going on. Bravo Joyce! for not falling into this trap. Bravo for being brave enough to encourage others to face the lies we are fed about our body image. My only disappointment in this is that I won't be able to take part in your group.

Anonymous said...

Go for it Joycie! My new "kick" is actually BELIEVING what the Bible says I am "in Christ"... things like "righteous, a saint, gentle, loving, kind..." I'm really starting to believe that! Freeeeeeeedom!!!!!!!!!!!!