Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Processing Out Loud

I (foolishly)........ valiantly..... posted about this support group idea. I know the premise. I know what I want to communicate, I know what I want to explore. I'm plugged into a church, I have begun making the phone calls to get me to point of standing up on a Sunday morning and asking women whether they want to join me. I found the Geneen Roth website, and with Brian's help, discovered teaching packages complete with books and teaching DVDs.

Here's my hangup. It's not Christ-centred teaching. And I'm okay with that on a personal level- from the perspective that no matter who you are or where you've come from, you are created of God and have good to share with the world. Geneen has thought this food and body stuff through to a level that I believe it unprecedented. I've yet to find anything close to it, and I've yet to find anything comprehensive that centres on our wholeness originating from who we are in God.

It's not exactly that I feel I need to "Christian-ize" it.
But I believe that my faith is my center. I believe that when we are bound up in addictions and preoccupations, it is nearly impossible to be effective and move very far forward in our spiritual walk. I also think that if I promote a teaching in church, it should be one that not only aids in the promotion of emotional and physical health, but should urge people into relationship with their Creator. It should teach a new identity- God esteem to replace self esteem.

And if I use a teaching series under the context of church, but it teaches on a spirituality that doesn't have to do with Jesus, that I could be messing with some very non-churchy stuff. It could be suggested that I was "preaching another gospel". I take seriously that the Bible warns against stupid, irresponsible people posing as teachers and then messing individuals up worse than they were when they came to you for "help".

Ironically, I would be willing to host this type of support group outside of the umbrella of the church. I feel like in that context, all I would have to do is make clear my own spiritual beliefs (just for authenticity purposes), and then let the tapes do the teachings without me worrying about heresy.

Hmmmmm. What to do.
I will for now, order the teaching packages and view them myself at home. From there I'll have to decide what direction to go in.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Have you checked out The Lord's Table at Setting Captives Free? It is an amazing Bible Study that really changes the way you focus on and deal with your body--it works for those of us with weight issues and those of us with body issues, it works with all types of eating disorders as well (I know--I have gone from one to the other and back again and finally am free of that stuff and just eat as I need to be healthy, which is amazing.)

There is an an oline mentoring program but they also have teaching materials. It really is an amazing study and would certainly fit with the support group church thing. :)

You can find it at http://www.settingcaptivesfree.com/home/

joyce said...

yes, I've checked out that link fairy extensively in the past and find it too "triggering". I avoid any ideas that promote weight loss, diet plans, abstaining from food, and time lines. even though they say that are "not a diet", it contains most of the familiar componants of a diet. This sets people up to feel inadequate once again. An extremely gracious approach is the only thing that has ever worked for me. This may have to do with personality. A more "A type" person might find the program you mentioned to be helpful, but not me.

Anonymous said...

I think it doesn't matter if it mentions God or churchy things. God is still in it. You're still being a Jesus figure in someone's life by helping them through their issues. Perhaps you could help more people if it were outside the umbrella of the church, church is a scary place for a lot of people. I don't remember Jesus going there much anyway.

mmichele said...

i believe that ALL truth is God's truth. so if what she is saying is true, then it's a God-thing. good enough for church.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it should matter where you are teaching. The responsibility is the same regardless of the venue. If you believe and have peace about teaching this program then teach it! If there is something that just doesn't feel quite right, maybe wait on the Lord a little longer before proceeding. It seems to me though, that you could probably create your own program, one that centers around Christ. For He is the one that ultimately sets us free! You are a very gifted and wise individual my friend. Don't underestimate your abilities to pursue and create something new.

Linda said...

I've read a lot of Geneen's stuff and have found truth in her writing. I believe that God uses people of all sorts to teach us more about himself. He reveals himself to all people, not just us Christians. If we "remain in the vine" God will take care of us.

joyce said...

thank you, wise ones. You've each brought up useful things that have tickled the edges of my tinker. I too, credit "good" to God. I'm just not sure I'm up to "taking any potential heat' within the context of church. I'm glad that you penned "waiting", Pants. That's on my heart as well.

Anonymous said...

Here's my 2Cents worth -- do it outside of the church. That way you have no outside pressure - just talk to God, and not a "committee"????