Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hard, Lumpy, Painful Bits

Recently I had a brief conversation with a friend about the nature of this blog. About how much editing I find myself doing now. How thoughts will come to me... and then how I imagine so-and-so reading them and misunderstanding them, and how the very thought of that nearly drives me to drink. (before Fridays...) How I miss the (perceived) freedom of the early days when I would run to the computer for solace- for a quiet place to examine the confusing, the sad, and the unexplained.

I've made myself pretty vulnerable here at times. I've been honest about the history of eating disorders, the less than picturesque relationship that I had with my now deceased brother, the sadness of loss, the death of ideals. I've been forthright about my stubborn, but not dogmatic faith. I've shown you my clutter, my treasures, my victories, my dark sides.

I've made some new friends. Learned to trust people in more authentic ways. Felt good about "putting some stuff out there"; and having found it well received. (except when it wasn't....)

Today I feel like pushing myself back there. To see if it will be helpful because I'm scaring myself a little lately with the dark corners that my brain finds itself retreating to. Today I feel like talking a little bit about sadness.

I've been fortunate in this life so far to have come through relatively untouched by the robbery of death. Sure, I've been to my share of funerals, but no one could ever write much of a tragedy about my life thus far. I expect to have a lot more funeral events if I keep living for the next forty years or so. And so, I think I've got some stuff to figure out in the meanwhile if I don't want to continue to shut down corners of myself in order to cope.

The first blow that death dealt me was when I was in grade 12, I think.
Her name was Faye, and she lived just past her fourth birthday. I was her baby-sitter. Poor little girl was much too young to have any clue what was happening to her- cancerous tumour at the age of three. Now that I've had my own kids, I can't believe what it must have been like for her parents. For her.

But when I look back on what it was like for me, I remember that rock hard wall in my chest. That weird sense of anger when my mother would ask about her. My feeling that it was none of her business and that she was being curious and nosey. I remember my guilt that Faye had annoyed me. I remember mostly that block in my throat and chest and stomach and brain. Those blocks come right back, even fifteen years later, sitting at my computer and trying to write about it.

The thing that I'm tuning into more and more is that I have all these blocks. So, what happens when more loss comes along? When I make myself remember the losses that followed that first big one, I feel them in all the same places, and have the same basic, crazy emotions. Guilt. Inadequacy. Anxiety. And chunks of hard yuck in my throat. Chest. Stomach.

I've had a few losses in the last fifteen years. I'm thinking that each loss makes another piece of hard yuck inside of me? It's kind of like with every really hard loss that I don't know how to reconcile inside my brain, I have more and more hard bits to navigate around and try to avoid because I don't know how to make it go away, or how to normalize it, or WHAT.

And that's all. That's all I can write on the topic because its as far as I can go. There are no conclusions, no wrap-ups, no nothing. Just hard bits. Unfortunately, these hard bits usually exacerbate some of my more diagnosable problems. And that gets pretty tiresome.

So, maybe this year I'll get riskier again with the blog and just try to get intouch with some of these painful parts. I don't know- it might make it worse, and it might not.

I just don't think playing it safe is really the best course of action either. So, I'll just stick my neck out and take some risks again.

10 comments:

gophercheeks said...

You write so well... I wanted to say that perhaps the next time you have any doubts about whether to hold back or just go for it... you should read the 'Risk' quote that you posted a few months ago. I copied it to my blog because I NEED to read it( often).

Just keep writing.....

christine said...

It must be scary sometimes putting thoughts, feelings, vulnerabilities "out there" knowing many eyes will review your words. It is definitely a risk, plain and simple. However, at the same time, you strike a resounding chord with many, many people....who obviously love, drink up, acknowledge and appreciate your raw, insightful musings. I've read most of your posts as far back as they go....2006? (I know..KEENER) but I couldn't stop reading and reading the authentic posts because I saw/sensed the sincerity of a woman who felt deeply about many things. and wasn't about to let life go by without asking the tough questions and/or seeking answers. It was/and is refreshing and much needed.
xochristine.

Anonymous said...

We all have "blocks" or "boxes" as my therapist calls them...and it is indeed hard to open these boxes and deal with what is hidden/lurking inside...but therein lies the healing....so take the risks girl, take the risks....love ya...L-lew

Linda said...

I call them walls. They bang down with a hard, noisy metallic clang when I need to protect myself from what's going on around me. I think the only way we can ever experience any healing is, as you say, to stick our necks out and take some risks again.

Blessings to you.

Heather Plett said...

I love it when you risk. I haven't done much of that on my blog lately either.

Anonymous said...

Even though you know it joyce, I just want to say out loud that I LOVE YOU.I don't have answers, just that I beleive in "walking" together....sometimes we don't know how, but let's keep going, one foot in front of the other.Kathy

Karla said...

You will stick your neck out, and I will wrap it in a warm cozy scarf.

Judy said...

I haven't taken any risks either. And, I actually laid awake in bed this morning thinking that I should move a bunch of posts into 'draft' since so many people I know read my blog now.

You know? It's REALLY risky to take risks.

Anonymous said...

Risking is good, but yes, dealing with the pain of the consequences -- those I'm not so sure about. I'm still reeeeeeeeeeling from some of my risks. That's why I even hesitate commenting on some of these posts when comments and thots and feelings I have many. Feeling very vulnerable today is your Schwester Mary. Love you!

Becky said...

Joyce, Faye was a Sunday School friend of mine...you mentioned her once before, which brought back some early memories of not understanding death. I love it that you are real...it's so much better than hiding behind a mask.