Monday, April 03, 2006

Good Eats

Ever drive by a small town and see one of those cheesey signs all bashed up and faded with a big red arrow that says "GOOD EATS HERE"?

While I was sleeping, I swear someone hung one of those up just outside my front door. Spring break is over, so this morning various hungry children showed up on my doorstep. I got them fed and out the door and was just sitting down to indulge in some blog reading when my friend Josie popped in the back door-

"Hi- I can't stay, I'm just out on a walk and I popped in to say hello. Oh, and I haven't had breakfast!"

We enjoyed some yogurt and granola together, and then went out to join her on the rest of her sunny walk. We had to come home in short order because the boys were starving- time for lunch already? Just got back to the computer hoping to sneak in a minute of reading before slapping together some peanut butter delight, and Cheri bursts through the back door on her way to Gisele's for a massage-

"I've got twenty minutes for you- and I really hope you've got LUNCH on the table- I'm hungry!"

(Now was that fair? She's already going to a massage, now she's looking for a free lunch?!)

I really got off my keester for her and whipped up a fine slice of toast with margarine, and some swiss cheese. (that'll teach her!) I just got the toast crumbs off the counter and wished her a lovely afternoon (DUH- she's going for a massage, like it could be "not good...") when the back door opened once more and my sister stopped by. Did she bring me flowers or a tray of donuts or a cheque, or ANYTHING? NO, her exact words were:

"Oh, good! You're home! I walked here on my lunch break- I hope you have some really good bread!"

I'm starting to understand my mother better all the time. She used to tell us when we were kids that every time we looked at her we got hungry. Do I look like a giant ham? Should I take this personally? Do people only love me for my cookies?

I've got to run to the store now to replenish the fridge, or I may just be all alone and friendless tomorrow.

11 comments:

Brian the Mennonite said...

Oh Joyce, this is such a good post...and very telling of the kind of person you are. I don't think you'd want it any other way, would you?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Joyce how's tomorrow for you, mind if I pop by for lunch? Kidding, I'm already bombarding Mom for lunch, after MY massage from Joanne.

joyce said...

oooooh, Janice what a life you live!!! Will a greek goddess be manicuring your nails while you eat mom's buns and ham?
(and you know you are welcome to pop by any time!)

Christy said...

I think it's cool that you have friends who trust you enough to just drop in. I have enough trouble getting people to agree to a pre-arranged coffee.

Mmmmmm.....Massage...

CeCe said...

Well, even before I had kids, I was saying "I want to be the mom who has all the neighbourhood kids over eating home baked cookies and playing in my rec room." But now, you've got me scared!

Anonymous said...

Come to think of it, I do love you for your cookies.

joyce said...

Brian- you know it!
Christy- I'll whip you up toast and cheese any time, and don't feel you have to call first. No- for you (travelling all that distance) I'd get out the nacho chips and wine!
Cece- that was totally my desire as well, and I do love it.It takes off all the pressure of "hostessing" because the party theme is always "come as you are"!
Shelley-And I love you for your many words of affirmation!

Cherrypie said...

Blimey! I wonder if I'd get nachos AND dips if I flew in?

Just got home from a long boring day at the office. The cupboard is bare. Wish you were my neighbour x

joyce said...

Now, Christy only has to come over one province. For you, Cherrypie, we'd pull out all the stops and serve up some pizza and beer!! (or microwaved hotdogs, if I was short on time or ambition!)

wouldn't it be fun though?

Cherrypie said...

Blimey! YES!!!

Anonymous said...

Good thing water is such a refreshing beverage to serve with bread and margerine. It's funny - as I read your blog, I recalled that I was STARVING the day I came to your place with my new car. I helped myself to some nourishment from your kitchen before finding you at the Thrift Shop. It's just that kind of place. Congratulations.