Saturday, July 08, 2006

Cancer Chronicles

It's funny what cancer does to people. Funny-strange, not funny-ha-ha.

My sisters are teary, kind, helpful, innovative with problem solving, selfless, and positive whenever there is an appropriate oppurtunity. My oldest brother (due back in the country next Saturday) is concerned, not only for Ken, but also our aging parents, and is willing to fly home at a moment's notice if anyone deems it necessary. My other big brother is diving ever deeper into a blurry liquor-induced version of his own reality.

My family members still seem capable of decision making, doing things that make a difference, hugging people compulsively.

I, on the other hand, fight the ridiculous urge to take up smoking and drink black coffee until I rupture a spleen. Or running myself through a paper shredder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Joyce, and remember to let Brian hold you up when you can't do it anymore.

P.S. I'm glad I made you laugh!

Romeo Morningwood said...

Most people run away from trouble. I always remember this weird thing from the movie The Hunt For Red October.

When the other submarine fired a torpedo at them they went full speed ahead straight at it.
The torpedo was set to detonate at a greater distance and by hitting it before it could arm itself they rendered it useless and it simply grazed off of the side.

That is cool but it takes cajones!.