Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mr Sam

It doesn't really unravel me that Sam has a seizure disorder. Of course it is unsettling when I hear myself say; "Sam has a seizure disorder", but the disorder itself is not, in my opinion, the worst diagnosis a kid could get. He only seizures in his sleep, which means I don't have to worry about him riding his bike, walking to school, playing with his friends, etc. I don't have to worry about his friends witnessing a seizure and then becoming afraid, or thinking that my kid is a freak. I don't love the fact that I will have to include this information on all his school, camp, and lesson forms, and that I can't control whether other people will regard him with fear. I can't control whether his camp counseller will tell his compadries "I got the weird kid with the seizures." I can't be sure the seizures will be contained only to night. I can't decide whether this will last a year, a month, or a lifetime.

This is Sam last spring when we first discovered something cooking with his tender little brain; and then below at his most recent appointment with neurology. He has grown up a lot in a year, and he has now had five night time seizures that we are aware of. It's like the first big mark that that living in this world is going to leave on him.

When I think of the genetics in my family line, I figure he came out okay. In my dad's family, all the heads were in question. Dad and his sister suffered brutal migraines. His brother seizured. His other sister suffered a lifetime of mental illness. So, out of the available options, I figure it could have been worse.
We all have to go through life with these heads attached to our bodies. Sometimes it feels like a problem. I've often wished I could compartmentalize my brain and put a few sections into a box in the garage for a while. Just to take a break.
Every time you have a kid, you invite another "stranger" into your life forever. You fling open the doors of your life, your house, your heart, and your washing machine. You naively shout: "COME IN!" and you mean it with every cell in your body. You don't know that child any more than you can count the petals on a rose that has yet to open. But your heart has already grown legs and feet in the shape of that child, and you see it marching around outside of your body. That's forever.
I see it on my mother when her heart still breaks over her children. She is eighty-two. She can't keep the world from hurting her adult children any more than I can manipulate whether people will regard Sam with suspicion or not.
Mr Sam.
Looks like he's ready to take it on.

9 comments:

Heather said...

As you may remember our oldest struggled with seizures till we discovered that the source, for her is allergy related (that and flicker--we got an LCD tv and made it all good. :))

The interesting thing is that we have discovered that seizure disorders and migraine disorders, as well as mental illness seem to be related and run in families. Both sides of our family have severe migraines and bipolar disorder and Rach gets a headache as part of her aura, and gets migraines occasionally--just like my husband did as a child. In fact her aura for seizures is EXACTLY the same as my husbands for migraines, and the triggers are also the same.

And we also think it could be worse (although Rach also has SJS which is potentially deadly.)

Point is that there does seem to be a direct correlation which makes seizures less surprising.

tanya said...

When people find out I work with sick kids I always seem to get the same response...a sympathetic look and a comment along the lines of "that must be so hard". What they don't realize is how amazingly strong and resilient children are. And how they manage to deal with troubles with a strength that few adults possess. Luckily for them, they don't seem to perfect the art of wallowing and self-pity until later in life. I'd imagine you're having a tougher time than Sam is with all this, but I guess you wouldn't be a mother if you weren't.

Crystal said...

I don't know what to say Joyce, except that I feel for you and your sweet boy.

mmichele said...

if i were sam's camp counsellor, i'd say that i have the cute kid with the 1000 watt smile.

Karla said...

Well you know how I feel about Sam... these pictures of him made my heart go all a flitter-flutter!

Judy said...

Um. My camp counselor kids wouldn't have minded a bit.

Seems like they were always trying to avoid the rich kids with the sassy mouths who complained about EVERYTHING.

I passed on migraines to two of my three, and panic disorder to one of them.

All the other kid got from me was a love of reading.

I'll take Sam any day, or night. Just tell me what to do!

Roo said...

samuel m. what a handsome little man. and yeah....this mama business is awfully taxing on the heart. i still smile when i think about the time that brian babysat sam at our house. brian had no idea!! but he learnt awfully quick.

Roo said...

(when i say "brian had no idea" i am talking about when sam asked for help when wanting to visit the loo) :)

Valerie Ruth said...

i've only had a small taste of this parenting bit, but you're right... your heart starts walking beside your body. i never want my baby to grow up and/or be hurt. ever.