Thursday, August 21, 2008

On Taking a Year off to Write a Book

..... not.

But I have been thinking that if I took a year off to write a book on parenting, then I could justify putting all my children into full-time care (boarding school?! juvey hall?) and then I could blame someone else for the way that they turn out.

Parenting. They never gave us any information in those prenatal classes that we could actually use. No manual slid out with the placenta. And books? I've long since quit reading those. They just make me feel more guilty and more inadequate. In other words, I've been going with denial? Reckless optimism, riddled with guilty hopes that other people in their spheres of influence will fill in the cracks and crevices of my distractions, melancholies, absentmindedness It doesn't make any sense, but it's what I've got to work with for now.

How does an utterly flawed human being parent impressionable children? What's a mother to do- stuck with a head that tortures her endlessly with dips of melancholy and navel gazing, sadness and introspection? Not to mention the large dashes of fear and desire for control, masked by a perfectionism that goes disguised as a inability to make any decisions for fear of it being wrong, or impossible to implement or God forbid-- that it should cause friction, conflict, or disagreement. So, in an effort to keep the place happy and respectful, the tongue gets bitten and bitten until it begins to bleed in rants and exaggerations; and I hear myself bellowing: "Go ahead and kill each other!!! What do I care? You seem to want to fight and disrespect each other, and you've got your own consequences to live with. Just don't bleed on my good couch!!"

It's a wonder any of us turn out at all. My mother was brutally depressed throughout her menopausal time of life- directly after I was born the youngest of eight children. Her depression/menopause lasted for ten years. Ten years! Can we even fathom what it must have been like for her to have that household to operate, those children to feed, those gardens to tend, and all while her head felt like a foggy, grey, sad hole?

Yet, aside from being either crazy, or brilliant, or migrainey, or disordered, or addicted.... Her children turned out surprisingly well. Good citizens. Excellent employees/employers. Pleasant. Interesting. Ethical. Wise.

It's almost impossible not to see one's children as exensions of oneself. So when they are rude, or lazy, or unmotivated, or demanding, my heart twists. I feel panicked- I've not taught them well, because I've likely not taught them at all. I'm a stinky teacher. I'm an idealist with such high ideals that I can't even start because it is too overwhelming. Sometimes I write lists and goals, and even stick to them for a long while. That's how I got my children to clean up after dinner every night. My one crowning achievement as a mother. Wa-hoo.

But boy, oh boy, have we got a long way to go to turn out some decent citizens.
Maybe I'll hire a nanny so that I can sit alone somewhere and think about how to do that. But that would require living really tight on a budget, and that's another thing that I really, really suck at.

What about you? what is it that makes your head drop to your chest involuntarily and cause you to stare obsessively at your navel while your brain tries desperately to problem-solve? Because I happen to know that you are not perfect either, and it would really make me feel better to think about someone else's inadequasies for a little while. Indulge me.

9 comments:

bygeorge! said...

Nothing. Nothing. NOthing should be bad enough as to drive us to look at our navels. that leads to a darker place. stare at your hands... anyone's hands... they distract you to wonder and smiles... and ta da... what was I thinking about? buy milk? shut the tap off? sincerely, boler babe

Romeo Morningwood said...

We all want our children to be more charming and less tedious than we are. How does one do that?

I suppose the most important ingredient is self confidence...
not that phoney cocksure arrogant 'all that and a bag of chips' crap that the media is selling them...

I mean the type of assurance that allows them to accept the fact that they should care less about what others think about them and pay more attention to what they discovered about themselves from their mistakes and understanding the consequences of both the crappy-dumbass and awesome-brilliant choices that they made..

and the realisation that they would have learned NOTHING about themselves if they had not tried in the first place.

Our present system of building up an 'imaginary primary coloured happily ever after' model and then slowly deconstructing it and lowering their expectations as they mature is quite ludicrous and quite new in historical terms. Once upon a time Children were exposed to the real world from day one..
how did they ever survive?

Crystal said...

Joyce, you don't give yourself enough credit. Your children have a mother and father who love them and a home that is comfortable and inviting to their friends. You are a good role model to them even if you don't feel like it. You are too hard on yourself.

Your children are already excellent citizens who have a rich, abundant life and that's due to you and your parenting. It's not a bad thing either for children to see their parent's as human beings with imperfections. It lets them makes mistakes without fearing they won't live up to your standards.

:)

bria erskine said...

Joyce, What a perfect blog for me to hear! YAY, Someone else feels the same way that I do today! My problem lately has been that my children think that bed time means that they stay in their bedroom and play until mommy goes nuts. Last night was like every other night; we tuck them in, give hugs and kisses and tell them (mainly my son) to stay in his bed. It was also like every other night in that as soon as we left the room he was jumping on his bed and throwing things into his sisters crib. We've tried everything to curb this but nothing seems to work for him. Last night was the big one though. He decided to find out what was in Amelias mattress. I'm not kidding either. That was his reason for ripping it open and digging his little toddler hands inside to pull out anything he could find. I lost it...I still don't have my sanity back. What do I do with him? Who knows. My parenting books have found a permanent place on the bookshelf as well...they don't apply to this kid (or me).

tanya said...

I think worrying about your abilities to raise a decent moral human being is the sign that you are a good parent. I'm sure even Mary Poppins threw her umbrella and started screaming like a banshee once in a while. As for me, I am thankful that my children are shy, which makes them behave when we're in public (most of the time)...unfortunately people discover that I'm not raising perfect children when they phone my house and hear all the screaming in the background. screaming

Roo said...

man! i hear ya. and my oldest is only 2. i have a long long journey ahead of me but i feel a little panic striken myself when i see less then complimentary extensions of myself popping out of her here and there.

i hate those books with there simple 3 step methods to raising the perfect child. and people who raise their eye brows when things get a little colorful around us.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I miss you my dear Schwester. Come out to the farm, pick some apples -- I have tooooooooooo many -- lie on my couch (no blood, please), And I'm sure Harold will even make coffee for you. Missing my sisters, and feeling sad with that lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Marshkies
P.S. I'll go play Scrabble with my absolute favorite lady -- Harold's mom.

Monica said...

I enjoy reading your blog .. and this post has brought me out of 'lurkdom'.'

Totally resonates with me. My WORD ... parenting is the hardest thing I've had to do in this life.

I've been reading/listening to a parenting series by Brene Brown ... do you read her blog?? Anyway what I love, love, love the most about what she says about parenting is ... "What if our children come into this world imperfect ... and it's our job to teach them loving kindness". Oh how I love this ... it totally took the pressure off. I can't screw them up b/c they're already screwed up. I just have to teach them to love themselves. I know that's still a tall order, but that concept being the only thing that really guides my parenting (instead of a list of dos and don'ts) has been so freeing for me.

Anonymous said...

Writing a parenting book scares me too. It's like inviting the world to analyze these kids we're raising. If you can't take a year off... do it little bits at a time. You are a gifted writer and I believe you can do it. Your pink sewing machine story was my fav. Seriously made me laugh out loud.
~ Zaza's Mama who stares out the windows catatonically.