Saturday, February 25, 2006

Livin' it up in the city

I pride myself on humble, simple living- I don't shop in malls much, I've never been called a trend setter, and I certainly can't walk in anything classier than a good hiking shoe. Occasionally though, I wonder what I'm missing and so I try to be just a tiny bit sophisticated. I had an excuse to go into the city today, as Brian had ordered some books from Chapters and was dying to get his hands on a new piece by Donald Miller. Now, I've heard about Starbucks coffee from some pretty classy people, and had recently heard a rave review on Christy's blog about a particular confectionary known as the "Marble Mocha Macchiato". With a sudden surge of worldly sophistication, I resolutely joined the throng that weaved toward the counter, and with bold confidence I announced; "I'll have one of those marble mocha thinga-ma-doozies, please". I was really looking forward to the marble chocolate stirstick that Christy had promised me, but soon realized that this culinary delight must be unique to Saskatchewan. Here in Manitoba, the coffee was efficiently stirred before I ever got my hands on it, and never once did I observe an edible stir stick. This was the first blow to my newfound identity as a woman of the world. The second blow struck nearer my heart- or my left hip to be more precise, since that is where my underweight wallet rested within my shoulder bag. Did that cute young thing behind the counter just ask for $4.95? For a cup of coffee?! Had I fallen through a giant pot hole and was actually somewhere in Europe at some outdoor cafe? I considered asking if that came with an espresso machine and a crate of chocolate stir sticks, but thought that would blow my cover for sure. Better to pretend that I go to the mall all the time, I can pronounce the names of really fancy hot drinks (I just choose not to), and that in the right light, I could look amazing in a little black dress and stillettos.

2 comments:

andrea said...

Ha! You're pretty sharp and sassy for a so-called country simpleton. I had a similar experience at a party in a restaurant last night sitting with the couple from a magazine spread. I was very tired having been up at 4 a.m. to prepare and serve breakfast to 350 students who'd just spent 30 hours fasting to raise money for kids in Rwanda so I didn't even bother to change out of my jeans, face as pasty as a ghost, hair seen better days -- and I get stuck hobnobbing with Michael Douglas and Catehrine Zeta-Jones. At least Greg put on a gaudy Hawaiian shirt. :)

Christy said...

I ordered my second MMM last weekend and did not get a stir stick....I was stunned. I assumed it came with the drink. I have no idea why the heavens blessed me that one day, but I sadly assumed that since it was my first time with the drink it must be something they serve with it.

Next time, I'm just going to ask for it. For $4.95, they owe me.