Friday, February 03, 2006

Professional Development Day

It sounds like such a good idea, professional development day . And , If you're a teacher, it just might be. If you are a child care provider, the only things that are developing are grey hairs, a hoarse voice, and a strong craving for gin.

It's two oclock in the afternoon. There are more cookie crumbs under the booster seat than there are in the cookie jar. We've made crepe paper flowers, pencil toppers, and ham and cheese pizza. There have been board games, pretend games, trips to the skating rink. There have been two milk spills, one poo in the pants incident ,one charge of assault (okay, a scratch on the arm), three time outs , and countless phone calls.

En route to the 40 millionth phone call I hear:
"Joyce, my milk spilt".
"Joyce , can I have another cookie?"
"la la la la la la la la la la la la la " (3 year olds- if somebody has something to say, then SO DO WE!)
"Joyce- Help me tie my skates".
"Mom- can I have money for McDonald's tonight?"

Gosh, I think- this phone call better be important, it better be a friend doing a sanity check, or Readers Digest telling me that I won the sweepstakes or something. (or how about an extra pair of arms and a couple of spare heads?)

"Hello, Mrs Hildebrand? Meez Heeldebernd? Hooww are you today? Today we have VERY Special offer........"

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!
I'm gonna need something a little more helpful than a pd day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGH, Joyce. I hear ya! Ever think of going on strike? Think about it!

joyce said...

Do you want to start a union? Do you think you could convince Darrell to support the both of us when we picket?

TheTart said...

Hey Joyce. Loved your post at Brian's! LOL

Christy said...

PD day...a.k.a "maternal mental health day".

The fact that you made paper flowers and didn't lay curled in a fetal position sipping grand marnier and rocking, is a sign of your strength.