Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Runway

Its going to be pretty tough to reach my goal of becoming a runway model in my forties if things don't start changing up around here. I suspect sabatoge when the husband invites friends over for dinner to share his artichoke and olive linguini, washed down with crisp white wine, and tempered with nutty brown buns. He's lured eldest daughter into his sinister plot, giving her the role of baking endless pans of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies instead of playing with her gameboy like sensible children do. Then there's all these lazy evenings spent slouched around a roaring fire in the backyard, turning marshmallows till they droop with golden temptation. Even at the lake, between fitting in the numerous meals that must be consumed, the Mike's hard in the cooler down by the dock, and the mid-afternoon nap, that lake can serve just as well as a backdrop. Its not limited in function to being a place to thrash about in, wet and miserable, and looking like an exercise junkie fool.

Oh, its noble to have goals and all. But if all the people around here don't start sitting down more and cooking and baking less, I'm going to need a whole lot of support. I may even need to sleep in your living rooms.

But only if your people are more supportive than mine.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I was waiting for you to share the artichoke and olive linguini recipe!!!...where is it??? I never wanted to be a runway model anyway...funny you said this....I can remember a conversation between my brother and I some 30 years ago when I was charting my 'career path'...I said "I could be a model if I wanted to...it's just I don't want to". :) So where is that recipe????

Anonymous said...

Thrashing about...wet and miserable. Yep that is about it. I valiantly swam to the neighbours buoy at the lake this summer. I noticed Jay creep closer and closer to the edge of the dock looking upon me inquisitively. Is she going under? Or is that the way she swims? I resigned to the back float for the way back. It is ridiculously hard work. Those broad shoulders and svelte waistlines come at a price. Overrated, Joyce. Pass those cookies.
Joanne

Leanne said...

Hmmm. My mouth is watering...I want artichoke and olive linguini...
Sounds like you're having some fun summer days and I'm very glad for you. Would love to visit. When we come it will be winter...do you do fun things in the winter too? ;)

Linda said...

You really CAN experience that dream! Just go to:
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2007/20/c4182.html
They are still looking for people. Hurry!

Nancy said...

I'm with Joanne on this one...pass the cookies. And I don't mean cookie, I mean cookieS!

Anonymous said...

I saw this and thought of you..
http://unclutterer.com/archives/2007/08/reader_question_how_should_i_s.php

:-)

Valerie Ruth said...

you can come to our place. we never have time to cook!

Anonymous said...

I dunno...sounds like a lot of fun to me..the cookies sound delicious!

Anonymous said...

I need that olive and artichoke linguini with the buns. Recipes please!

You mentioned Mikes Hard which sent my straight to my fridge to grab a Corona. Nothing like an early afternoon drink for the stay at home mom's sanity!