Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Inventory

It's been quite a ride, this June. In May, I said that I would like to see the project's support to Darfur increase by 40%, since the UN announced its decrease in rations by that amount. One short month later, I realize that support has actually increased by at least 400%, considering that the bags which used to sell at $25.00 now regularly bring in a hundred or more. Kind of makes me think of that bit in the Bible that says; "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over....." My further hope is that every bit of this food aid is getting to the suppressed in the camps. We can never imagine the life they try to scrape out in such destitution. We can't even comprehend the will to live.

As for me and my house? I continue to strive for balance. My biggest concern is my role as a mom. Especially as the children grow older. The preschool bits I have quite a bit of confidence about, seeing as I've been at it since about grade six. That's when I started baby-sitting and I've never really quit. But around here, we are entering some less familiar territory as the girls embark on their teen years. I won't be able to measure their love, or my adequacy in parenting them by counting sloppy kisses. Those days are behind us. The early, formative years are crucial, yet the following years are the ones that my children will likely not forget. It will form their opinions about what sort of home they grew up in, what their parents did "right" or "wrong", and what was important in their household. It is four short years until I am the parent of an adult. Inconcievable.

I'm going to need more of that God stuff.

This week is special. The children are finishing up school for the year. We will begin summer time, with it being Sam's last full summer before he becomes a school kid as well. We begin to anticipate trips to the cabin and time spent with faraway cousins. We begin to think about what we need for weeks away at camp. Brian and I prepare for Winnipeg Folk Festival, this year the both of us volunteering with the "le cusiene" crew. What an awesome time we are going to have together- it's been ten years since we were able to make it to the FF together. One of the benefits of the kids no longer being preschoolers!

I can look forward to fewer preschoolers in the house, as the teacher parents in my crew take their kids home for the summer. Alternately, I try to accomodate for the fact of my own children being at home. Try again to teach them to clean up after themselves, be active, pull their weight around the place, live less entitled. (*sigh*) We get to "use" our friends who put up a gigantic 27 foot round pool in their back yard. We can use them for their trampoline as well, since ours ripped after many years of faithful service, around the same time that the washing machine and sewing machines decided to go on disability. I hate stuff sometimes. Just as much as I love it.

So, that's it for a bit of inventory this morning. A thing not to be taken for granted that there is so much good to list. What about you? Top three things on your mind as you embark on your summer? Share them with me; it will make counting inventory a little more interesting.

14 comments:

Roo said...

in shorthand form: (my top 3)
1. the labor experience
2. new babe in the house adjustment
3. hubby in the house adjustment (brian is taking parental)

:)

Anonymous said...

Only 3?
Ok, so my top 3 would be.....
1. a family trip to the Grand Canyon with friends
2. working less so I can enjoy my kids more - I love watching my kids have fun
3. last day of school means last day of mornings spent making lunches!!

and just one more.......we will have 4 days when both our children will be away so my husband and I are going camping ALONE!!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

* Reading on the deck
* Trips (or hopefully at least 1) to the same cabin, enjoying the same people
* cutting grass, mmmmm I LOVE that job!
Marshkies

Anonymous said...

Joyce, your Darfur project is a wonderful and giving act of love. I do hope that every bit of this food aid is also getting to where it is truly meant to help, and you are right, we could never imagine our lives being such as theirs….

I agree with you on the “less familiar territory” now that my two are approaching/in their teen years, “Am I raising them to be good, caring and well-rounded individuals? Are they proud and confident enough to face life’s adversities and find their own self and be happy and fulfilled?” I find that the following quote deals with the whole teenage friend phenomena – “There exist companions disposed to break one another to pieces, but there exists a friend sticking closer than a brother. - Proverbs 18:24”. Sometimes life throws you a whopper and I can only hope that my children remain strong and faithful to whom they are. I miss the days of the sloppy kisses and all the cuddly hugs as well, when love was way simpler, and as parents, to them, we were the coolest friends…..in life, at any time, we all need that “God stuff”.

Top three things on my mind are:

1) Doing some outside renovations;
2) Family trip to Minneapolis;
3) Golfing;
4) Camping;
5) Wishing I had more holidays to spend time with family
6) Driving my son to summer hockey (do you believe it??????)

Leanne said...

1. My most wonderful garden that we are eating delicious vegetables from already
2. A toddler experiencing his first ice cream cone, first sprinkler, first beach, first scrapes, first camping...
3. A trip to Manitoba...I'm dreading the mosquitos and the humidity but looking forward to seeing beloved people again. Would love to see you!

Anonymous said...

1. exploring my new love for sewing
2. visiting more friends and taking trips
3. soaking up as much sun as possible before the rain starts again.

Joyce, you truly are a thing of beauty.

Jennie C. said...

1. Helping pluckymama learn to sew so that she helps me reduce the mounds of fabric in my living room. I think this might be your fault, Joyce.
2. Booty-camp workouts with sisters and friends in the sun.
3. The smell of my children after a day at the beach (well sunned skin has a nice smell).
4. Balance.

Becca said...

Faith. Gardening. My marriage.

christine said...

-Dealing with changes I see in myself (spiritually, emotionally) and how that effects those closest to me...
-Trying to think of mouth watering, savvy GFCF dishes for my son/family without going iNSANE..(ME, not my family).
-Being still

joyce said...

what is GFCF?

Crystal said...

1) Keeping the boys away from my daughter/keeping said daughter busy enough so boys will stay away
2) Trying to help other daughter find balance/self esteem
2) Finishing the bajillion yard projects that I have started (what was I thinking???)

it's a gong show... said...

1) getting my anxiety under control so i can enjoy my beautiful kiddies this summer
2) speaking those dreaded words in public, "i'm going to run that 1/2 marathon in september" what was i thinking!
3) SLEEP

christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
christine said...

sorry, I realized that the above wasn't clear enough. The GFCF (gluten and casein free) diet is sometimes recommended for children with autism, adhd....so its no wheat, no dairy no preservatives. our family is trying to follow that together for my son.
c.