Thursday, September 07, 2006

Laura

Once upon a time, there was a large family. Five daughters were born, and because mommy was quite busy feeding, clothing, and giving birth, these five learned to depend upon each other quite a lot. By the time the littlest was born, the eldest was right fed up with mommy bringing home smelly, noisey, squishy surprises, so as soon as she turned 18 , it was time to seek greener, quieter pastures. Unbeknownst to either one, these two sisters were actually very much alike, and many years and many miles between them later, they would discover with joy that they shared so much more than their biological beginnings.
This is my sister Laura. She is very special to me, and if we didn't live 15 hours apart, I would be on my way to her house right now- to share a pot of coffee, drool over her latest, ingenious quilting project, laugh at the threads inground in her carpet, and last years Christmas cards still on her piano. After the coffee had grown cold, and half a bottle of really bad, overly sweet wine was gone, we would begin to philosophize. We would laugh at the irony of turning out very much alike, although having spent most of our lives away from one another. We would pore over magazines and books about fabrics and quilting designs. Laura would get excited about buying some high tech equipment to launch her craft to a whole new level, while I would imagine thrift shopping at bag sale day to get a bunch of old aprons and dresses to repurpose into a nifty neato something-or-other.

Most of all, we would laugh.

A month ago, when Laura flew out to spend some time with our brother, we had the privelege of spending an unusual amount of time together. One night, we decided to spend the night at the hospital, sharing the dark with Ken. First we needed to make a few stops. Laura managed to spend $45.00 on snacks and a bottle of really bad wine for us to share as we wiled away the nighttime hours. She spared no expense-- even purchasing two pretty plastic goblets so that we could enjoy our beverage with some class. We giggled and whispered and slurped and smacked until Ken's roommate politely informed us that he couldn't sleep to our accompanyment. We then politely reduced our rustling to a bare minumum.

Laura is one of the most fascinating, loveliest, gracious people in the world....and one of the goofiest. She knows how to buy in bulk. She knows how to laugh at herself. She knows how to be honest- with herself, and with others. She knows how to enjoy a good book. (even if it means staying up til four a.m. and being a yawning sack of uselessness the next day) . She knows how to enjoy a good speed boat ride. She has known hardship and heartache. She has given when there was nothing left to give. She has loved without being loved in return.

Laura- May the Lord bless and keep you. May the Lord lift his countenance to you, and give you peace.

I love you.


11 comments:

Roo said...

i like your sister.

svea said...

what an amazing tribute to your sweet sis. I would love to meet her someday and discuss all the great things we like about YOU!

Anonymous said...

Oh Joyce, how wonderful of you! Thank you! I just finished my night shift and thought I'd check your blog spot to see what new stuff you had come up with. Got close to tears, but I'm really too happy to cry right now.
Thought I'd go see if there were any Christmas cards up yet. Not really. Just a Chapters gift card, a couple of empty Christmas gift bags, and a Christmas book and ornament. Also a gift bag full of Michael's grad cards. I must have cleared out the Christmas cards to prepare a place of honor for Mike's grad gifts and cards.
And thanks for the lovely picture of me in my swim suit. I didn't think it was possible. It's not airbrushed, is it?
Again - thank you, thank you, thank you. Let's get together around 2:00 for coffee. I should be up by then. Love you!

CeCe said...

Aww, so many nice people tributes lately!

Bobita said...

Once again, you have reduced me to tears! You have such an incredible way about you. And this post about your sister is so lovely...makes me long for one!

Heather Plett said...

Hey - I was meandering through your blog (having stumbled over here from one blog or another), thinking how I like this person who writes so well, and then I took a closer look at the pictures (including the ones with the new face jewellery) and I realized I KNOW THIS PERSON! Aren't you the Joyce-who-spent-a-summer-busting-her-ass-in-Banff with me? And who I bump into once in awhile at Folk Fest?

Cheers! Great blog! C'mon over and say hello. And if you search far enough back (like around May 20, when I turned 40), you'll find a picture of MY new face jewellery. :-)

andrea said...

Lovely tribute and the photo is a keeper. Have you got any other brothers besides Ken?

joyce said...

Ruth and Svea-- yes, thank you.
Laura--its just the plain, unadulterated truth!
c-c: but there are just so many lovely people to tribute!
Bobia-- we must have a shared gene somewhere- we seem to think alike! thx for your kindness.
Heather--wow. that made me burrow into the basement, digging up photo books from the 80's. Came up with lots of bad hair and sweaters, and few heathers. Then I spoke to my sister Carol (in the swimsuit issue photo above, dark blue speedo suit). She and I were both employed that summer that we met, and it is indeed Carol who you have seen at the Fringe, and the FF. I have been at those places in spirit only for the last ten years, having been baried under diapers and bills.
Next year, I swear.
Thank you so much for visiting. It makes me grateful to hear from people from the past, as I recognize once again how rich life has been.
Andrea: Yes, indeedy. There are three brothers to go with the five sisters. It feels more than surreal to imagine having fewer siblings around......... still death remains part of life.

Anonymous said...

what a nice blog. you have such a talent with putting your feelings into words. I loved it!

Cherrypie said...

I think I like Laura a lot too. Anyone who reads through the night is on my wavelength on some level x

esther said...

joyce, i don't know how you do it, but your words leave me... speechless.