Thursday, September 28, 2006

Normal? HAH!!

Today it was back to "normal".
Everyone was headed back to somewhere- even the birds seemed more determined to get on with their lives. They busied themselves with flying south while my sister and brother also took flight - returning to jobs and family and the normalcy of routines. I resumed daycare duties, Brian returned to the classroom, and the kids headed off to school. Cocooned in my cozy little house, the hours slipped by uneventfully. I'm completely sure that events occured, but I rarely attempt to listen to the news over the sounds of "spongebob squarepants" on the leap pad.

Yesterday, the kids came home with a notice from the school office, alerting parents to the presence of lice in some unfortunate kids head. I dutifully did the checks, all the while thinking that if I had to go through that stupid crisis again, I'd likely burn the house down. Everyone came out clean, so I resumed my assumption that life would get boring and regular again. What a relief that would be, I thought, it might be nice to have a regular heart rate for a while.

But by some crazy, sadistic twist of the humour molecules in the atmosphere, there was another note brought home from elementary school this afternoon. It wasn't meant to be funny, and its really NOT, but the possibilities of DEATH, FEAR , and living with UNCERTAINTY throughout the mundane tasks of every day living just kind of struck me as ironic and funny.

All right, so its just some crazy ex-Niverville murderer. And all this time, I was worried about cancer.

Isn't that kind of funny? Or is it just high time that I got committed?

6 comments:

esther said...

steve called me this morning...and said, " not to freak you out or anything, but..." yeah i kinda freaked out...eeek!

CeCe said...

ok, well that's scary. But you're right, it's probably more likely that someone would die of cancer than get murdered by some psycho.

Heather Plett said...

Oh man I hate it when the kids come home with those "there may be a criminal in your neighbourhood" notes. They don't even attempt to hide it from the kids either, which was particularly challenging when our nervous daughter was in grade 1.

'Course, I don't know which is worse - that or lice. Cringe. I lived through repeated visits of lice a few winters ago too. Oh the horror.

Carlotti said...

The thing about a murderer is that he is way more exotic and creates much more panic than cancer. How dare he escape during a lice outbreak?! There's only so much people should be expected to cop with........

Carlotti said...

That should be COPE. Though it's nice to have the cops around.

Christy said...

I have to admit, these notes frustrate me. I read there is a pedophile every square mile and yet they "announce" one every so often, like the high profile ones are the biggest threat.

It's selective announcements that seem as effective in protecting our kids as the terror alert system for the Americans. (Read: not very).