Monday, March 20, 2006

the thing about people

"What goes around comes around"; and "you reap what you sow" are two of the sayings that have been rolling around in my head for the past few days. They are cousins or sisters of "let love be your greatest aim", and "Love your neighbor as you love yourself".

Anyone who stays at home with their children knows the isolation and loneliness that can stalk a woman and make her question her worth on this planet. We badly need one another. People are created in a highly relational format, and tend to seek out interaction with one another in whatever forms are available to them. I find it interesting that while millions of people could be spending their computer time researching any topic known to mankind, we instead pleasure in using it as our water cooler, photo copier, or coffee room as an oppurtunity to connect to another soul out there who is craving personal interaction.

The same goes for many other typical interactions. That's why I don't watch church on television. There is absolutely no chance of getting the flesh and blood contact with people that for me, is an integral part of worship. This past Sunday, for example, I managed to participate in a few songs and about three sentences of the message before Sam got so loud that I took him out to try ONCE AGAIN to leave him in kids' church. Now, at first lick, it sounds like I didn't get to go to church on Sunday. But that's why I don't watch church on television.

The two or three sentences that I did get to hear were about being church to one another, using the areas where we have been gifted in ways that aid and bring healing to the people around us. It is within this community that I find church. People unafraid to love their neighbour, speak the truth, get their hands dirty, smudge their mascara, and to know the pain of loving "too much".

Which is why I've been thinking about the saying, "You reap what you sow". I have always thought about that in negative terms- like I had better behave or I'd get it good. Lately I've thought of it in the context of people loving each other and how wonderful and functional it can be. In moments of clarity, regular imperfect people speak truth and goodness into the people around them. I said regular and imperfect people because nobody is brilliant and giving all the time. The time comes where the loving giver comes to church discouraged, disullusioned and just plain on empty. That's when "what goes around, comes around", and the sower is on the receiving hand of affirmation, encouragement, and understanding.

I don't believe in going through my life looking for injustices. I know that it exists, and I recognize that life is not fair. But if we're all in it together and we'll reap what we sow, isn't it wise to love our neighbour like we love ourselves?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. So true. This is one to print out and tape to my cupboard door. Thanks, Joycie.

Anonymous said...

You got it sista! (just want to clarify that"sista" wasn't a spelling error)

esther said...

that is so beautiful, and sooo very encouraging...thank you.

...shell s. is a mutal friend, if your wondering who i am

andrea said...

I must've missed this one. Beautifully expressed, Joyce.