Thursday, December 27, 2007

Random.

I've mentally written a hundred or so posts. But there is self editing issues, time issues, am-I-prepared-for-disagreement? issues, and I-hate-effexor issues.


So, for now, I've hidden myself away in my room to the smells of Brian cooking, and the strains of my trademark Kenny Rogers Christmas in Kentucky cassette tape. I've nauseated myself on that tape every Christmas for a pretty long stretch now.


Christmas elicits a lot of stuff. Good stuff, fattening stuff, emotional stuff, exhausting stuff, messy stuff. So much processed (that would be the fattening stuff) and ever-so-much UN-processed.(mostly deposits inside the cranial space). Hence, the fear of writing at all.

But writing is so helpful. It's like getting some great shelving in big-old-house closet. You know those weird, badly designed after-thought-closets that can only be made useful with some splendid shelving idea? Well, that's kind of how I see writing. You lay out all the stuff, then you figure out what stays, what goes, and what cubby hole to tuck some other things into until a relevant time. Messy, though.

Lets begin with family life. When my anxiety/irritability index is on the higher end of the scale, I tend to perceive my immediate family with mild to moderate and then into finger-nail-off-ripping panic. I berate myself for all the better parenting I should have known about and practised starting from 13.5 years ago and into the present. I wonder about my current parenting status- what am I right now screwing up or missing that I'll be beating myself up for 13.5 years from now when one or two of my adult children are living off of frozen pizza pops and cheezies in my basement? What important questions am I neglecting to ask them right now? What investments of time, energy, listening... whatever am I currently too preoccupied or selfish or lazy to put into play? Why do my children appear to be bored and have no apparent clue of how to occupy themselves within 25 hours of a fullblown, generous, exciting Christmas?! Why does my son have roughly ten billion lego sets in his room, yet wander from fridge to couch to microwave to computer screen, even if he knows that he can not log on until 2:00 pm? Is his brain so completely mushified that he is content to do the boredom wander for five hours for one blessed hour of computer time?!

I think I need to talk about hemmorroids or hairy nipples for a while. This offspring topic is really stressing me out.

Or, we could indulge ourselves in the other hot topic that's about to get a tonne of air time. FAT. Are you ready? You are about to get hit with a barage of propoganda, yes, even more than usual. Because after a few weeks of overindulging anybody with so much as a "D" in marketing knows that we want to listen to 23.5 hours a day of information on how to lose weight, look like you spend all your time working out, and never ever be hungry or sad or lonely or needy or confused again. And this begs the question(s). Which "team" are we on? Are we going to get sucked into that giant vortex? Are we going to snivel around guiltily bemoaning all those pots of gold, birdies with cranberry, deeply fried fondues, and all the gloriously lazing sitting about we did over the Christmas break? Are we going to follow stupidly behind every exercise guru who prompts us to sculpt and lipo and flex and sweat?

Are we going to look around for permission to be lumpy? chubby? saggy?

ooh, boy. Who knows another topic?
Thoughts, anyone on too-much-thinking-at-Christmas? how about this question: What is preoccupying your brain these days? Give me three. And if you are one of those gals or fellas who doesn't over analyze to hemoraging proportions, then do me a favour and fake it.

Throw me a bone.

11 comments:

andrea said...

I hate Effexor, too, and I've been obsessed with this stupid, mindless show jumping (that's horses) game on this !@?%!@# box ever since the hoopla died down, so I know what you're up against. Ignore the fat issue until January (that's what I'm doing) and let the kids figure it out for themselves. So tell us about Shadow instead. How old? Breed? (Mini Aussie?) Personality?

joyce said...

I could burst into a torrent of tears just hearing you say that you hate effexor too. but then I'd have to ask myself if that was another friggin' side effect....

I'm mostly angry about the fat issue. Why does our culture not have magazine racks full of the dangers of consumerism and greed instead of the dangers of tipping scales beyond 111?

The kids... I hope I'm overreacting, and I hope I can blame that on weaning off effexor as well.

shadow: mostly shitzu (sp?) with some poodle. Little. Sweet. Doesn't yap (yet?) She was born on Halloween night, which makes her about eight weeks old. she is adventurous and obsessed with licking people. Theoretically she was taking turns sleeping in the girls' rooms. She sleeps beside my left ear, between me and Brian. She has tried to nurse off of me....She is waaaaaaaaaaaay easier than people babies, as she only wakes momentarily once or twice a night, has a few licks of my nose, possibly pees on my bed (la la la la la la la la la....blocking that out....) I put her down on the floor on her newspaper when she wakes up to whine, but I'm too tired to know what she actually does.

Thanks Andrea. I was afraid to whine on the blog, but now I'm kind of glad I did.

lettuce said...

sorry joyce i can't offer any thinking-bones, i'm not too much on thinking at the mo.....

lots of feeling going on here tho, and a fair bit of weeping and weariness. But also family laughs and company and warmth (and surprise cards from new special friends)

go on, talk about haemorroids and hairy nipples, i'm sure if you did it it would be hysterical.

i've no idea what effexor is, but i get the feeling i should be glad about that.

Judy said...

shhhh...don't tell ANYONE.

I am alone today.

My kids grown. My husband is at work.

My grandkids are at the 'other' grandparents.

I am scrubbing floors.

I have never uttered so much profanity in all my life as I have today.

But, nothing is wrong here.

Nothing.

Had I know when my kids were all home and my husband was a major pain in the butt, that I would STILL be me, and bothered by the same things, oh boy...

Goodness. I would have paid more attention in therapy.

(i want a puppy.)

There. I don't know what effexor is. But, I'll be glad to hate it too. I'll even curse about it, if it helps.

I'm planning to have a deep thought, soon.

Hum, dah, dum, dum...

I'm waiting...anytime is good.

Nope. I've got nothin'.

Roo said...

I don't know what effexor is either. BUT i am mentally and physically woren out and at the moment am trying to figure out how in the world i am ever going to handle another family gathering in the future -- even though the next one will not be for a long long time -- the whole thought of it freaks me out. (the dynamics of the past few days were just WAY too much.)

i like your doggy.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts, obsessions.

Should I stay or should I go.

Finding something good for Katie.

My mother and her increasing neediness and weirdness.

There, I feel better already.

andrea said...

Just scrolled down and I see your adorable puppy (how did I miss her?) and I think I had every single Effexor side effect. I only lasted three days and that was more than enough for me. Other people swear by it, though, so putting up with it is an individual call as s/e's can wear off. But given the smorgasbord of alternatives out there I decided it's not worth the bother. Good luck, Joyce, and email me if you need more feedback on this!

gloria said...

I agree, effexor sucks. Kudos to you for putting it out there. I know I couldn't work up the balls myself to do it.

Anonymous said...

You know my feelings on Effexor...

Sorry I don't have any amazing thoughts for you. Yours are always better than mine anyway.

You'll be happy to know, though, that when I hugged you after we met I thought to myself "this woman is WAY skinner than she thinks". Before we met I was expecting that you'd feel nice and squishy during our first hug (because of the things you've said), I was amazed to feel nothing of the sort, I felt bones and skin and no squish! You're a very lovely person, much more interesting and wonderful to look at than some air-brushed 18 year old on a magazine cover...to just make sure you understand what I'm saying, I only compliment a person when I actually truly mean it.

joyce said...

effexor... discontinuation syndrome sucks. Irritability, electric shock impulses, brain shivers, vertigo, balance issues, exhaustion, thirst, vivid dreams, nausea, teariness...
But its actually getting a lot less nasty. If I get the nerve, or I stop overanalyzing it, I may just take the quantum leap and just write about all this. I mean write about mental illness, taking meds, not taking meds, side effects of taking meds, side effects of NOT TAKING MEDS......

joyce said...

oh, and thanks so much, Ms Plucky. For everything. For the privelege of meeting you, (what deadly eyes. Beautiful, I mean), for what you just said here. It is making me angry again lately that I've allowed so much stolen and tainted in my life because of my struggle and addictions to food, weight, body image. I'm so angry at a culture so very out of touch with the real world. I'm so angry at my vulnerability to it all.