Monday, September 17, 2007

If I Were Made of Time and Infinite Resources

... I would lose myself for hours in my beautiful, inspired sewing room. I would piece and patch and form into beauty the multitude of intentions and ideas that live in my head. (and quite a few pieces from ideas that I've stolen from other talented artists out there.)

I would hire a life coach for myself. I would learn how to have goals and a plan that would move me from a whole bunch of loose ended theories and wonderings to an intentioned way of concluding a thing or two before I turn to dust.

I would sign up for a neat thing I saw in a pamphlet at my sisters annual procrastinators birthday party this weekend. It was a weekly meeting about intentional journalling. That sounds so incredibly wonderful. To journal in the company of others who love to do so, and to have a facilitator to help us write and explore new ideas.

I would join the gym, not to beat my body into what I wish it would become, but instead to feel it work, to celebrate that all the joints and ligaments and muscles can team up and work in unision. To embrace my aging self and dance with it.

I would install a self-cleaning floor.

I would hire someone to put baseboards in my kitchen.

I would volunteer in a gritty downtown soup kitchen.

I would travel to Alberta and spend a week organizing my sister Laura. On the way there, I would stop at my friend Nancy's and drink some wine and talk about God with her.

I would set aside one night of the week for a stitch 'n bitch at my house. Except I would never call it that. I'm much too upright to say such a crass and inappropriate word. I would never suggest that my friends would fit such descriptions, or that they would accept me for another minute if they heard such foul mouthedness emerge from my lips. But. I would like to spend an evening a week with my beloved fabrics and buttons and friends. Stitching, creating, sipping, laughing, connecting.

I would go for a walk every night after supper while the children rip each other to shreds washing the dishes.

but as it stands, this post was begun first thing this morning, and I've had no time to complete it until late afternoon. I have nearly paid my bills for August now.

So, time and money do have their constraints. Lets just see what I manage to squeeze in, because if my life were entirely manageable, I'd likely die from boredom.

7 comments:

Leanne said...

Yes, if only there was a magic time fairy and a magic money tree, imagine the heights we'd fly to. But we'd still find something to bitch about at ye ole stitch n' bitch, I'm sure. (Which, by the way, I would come to, just to BE there :) And possibly learn a thing or two about sewing...)

Valerie Ruth said...

lovely musings. but an "unmanageable" life provides much better reading material!

Nancy said...

I've discovered in my studies that "loose ended theories and wonderings" that lead to an "intentioned way of concluding a thing or two" create theologians who were once hungry for God into theologians who became stuck in their ways and ended up creating religions and lost sight of why they wondered in the first place. So please...I beg of you...don't ever stop the wonderings! Because if you do, there just might be a religion a hundred years from now called THE KEHLERITES...EEK! How can you tell what I've been reading about lately?!#*$#)$

Bonnie said...

Time, it is a wonderful thing, when you have enough of it!!(is there even such a thing as enough time?) I would come to your sewing, sharing, etc. ect. thingy. I'm not very good at sewing, but I am good at listening and talking!

Anonymous said...

Stitch 'n bitch, I like the sounds of that. It's funny you say it's crass. I was told not that long ago I was a crass but a woman I hardly know.

One day, one day. As your children grow and need you less, you'll find there is more time in the day.

Roo said...

i would install new windows in my house -- by myself, while my daughter is napping.

i would clean the inside and outside of my fridge.

i would figure out how to use the 50 year old sewing machine i've just been given.

i would write letters to all my long lost friends who think i've fallen off the planet.

Anonymous said...

And I have time... but I still wish that...

somehow the spiderwebs and crap would magically disappear from the siding on the house

freshly baked cinamon buns would "appear" on my counter

all the junk mail would disappear from the house

my cork flooring would be installed without me having to research, plan, ...

all my relationships would have meaning, depth, ...

I would not take things personally, but actually assertively and kindly ask questions with lots of love in my heart to clarify the bungle of thoughts in my head

I would love unconditionally

Hey, this really is kind of fun! I could go on, but I'm out of "time".