Monday, March 10, 2008

My old Stuff is Feeding Darfur-ians

Oh, goodness.

I've been so well behaved of late. I've not been buying old fabrics compulsively at any and all thrift shops. Nope. When I get the urge to don my camis and go out hunting I say; "Self, what you need to do if you have a bit of time on your hands is to sit down at your best friend the bernina, and turn some of those tablecloths, bedspreads, corduroy pants, and tea towels into messenger bags."

And weirdly, "self" has been obedient.

I've been selling the bags at a pretty steady pace, but have the plan to stockpile for future projects. So, I began a third blog called: Darfur Project: Ecclectic Bags. (www.bags4darfur.blogspot.com) It is in its infancy but the intent is to show the currently available bags if anyone wants to browse. Eventually I will get off my duff and set up an etsy account. But I hate learning new things. I don't much like sticking my neck out because I hate getting slapped there.

So far, limping along and doing it my own bumbling way seems to working out ok. I could spend a whole bunch of time (and will, eventually) on working on the Darfur blog, but I want to spend my little available time doing a whole bunch of sewing, because I really, really miss thrift shopping.....

Has anybody heard any progress on my proposal for the 47 hour day?

ps. some of you have noticed a third blog called "All the Rest". No one is invited. It's utter rubbish that I spout when I don't want to be toxic to people around me. Believe me, you don't want to know.

9 comments:

Heather said...

Okay--I was just thinking that I really, really needed to get rid of my boxes and boxes of material because I never can keep my sewing machines working (I have several I thrifted and can't bear to spend the $50 to get the timing fixed). I was thinking that early this morning as I lay in bed thinking of all the random junk we have all over the place that we are not likely to use. That said, I am wondering if you would like a large new stash of vintage and random material and findings and whatnot? It is very random stuff and my original plan was to put it on Freecycle or send it off to the thrift shop but I would rather donate it to you knowing that the money for shipping would be well spent and that it would not only help those in Darfur but also help you keep from the thrift shops. :) I could probably send it to Roo since I already have her mailing address if that would make you more comfortable and I believe you actually real life know each other. Don't feel bad about saying no if you already have plenty or whatever. :)

joyce said...

oh my. Well, I never say no to vintage. Never. Do you feel up to finding out how much shipping would be? I have no problem giving out my mailing address. (I've already given away my heart, what's an address?!) If the price of shipping is reasonable, I'd be so pumped to get your stash in the mail. Not that it would keep me out of thrift shops. Nope. Not me.

Roo said...

i'll second the motion to bring in a 47 hour day BUT ONLY if i get to spend at least half of it sleeping. :)

Beate said...

Oh, would it be possible to buy one and pay also for shipping to Norway?? I was thinking the other day when I saw one of your bags on your blog that I went to your church so that I could buy one!

Beate said...

I meant that "I wished that I went to your church.." I did not actually go :)

gloria said...

i see joyce having to set up paypal.... you ready for that joycie? lol

good job joyce. i am proud of you!

joyce said...

Beate- wonderful! No, I did not see you at my church :) that would have been quite the effort on your part. I am sure we can get a bag to Norway. Is there one in existence that you like? My daughter and husband are helping me set up an ETSY account, which would help with payment options.

how exciting to think of this stuff parading around in Norway!

Beate said...

I really like the three buttons one, and the chinese/couch one.
How much are they, I might even take both, if the three buttons is ok with sharing this good home.. :)
Maybe you will even get more orders from Norway when people see my new bag(s).. :)
Let me know when the ETSY account is ready.

Beate said...

Great! Thanks so much Joyce. I hope you have a wonderful day! :)