Thursday, May 01, 2008

Her Mind Whirls a Lot Faster Than Her Washing Machine

Does anyone know of some reliable monkeys that are obedient and hardworking, and don't expect to get paid?

This morning, checking my e-mails, I was left with a twilight-zoney sensation that there was a giant billboard out there somewhere showcasing a really tantalizing Darfur bag and my name on it.

Then I remembered that I love the internet.
Which is a giant billboard with more than just bags or names on it.

Last night I had the privilege of inviting myself over to Michele's house to deliver her newly adopted bag- Button Flowers. She lives in this amazingly amazing large brick house near the center of the river-ous city, with tin ceilings and awesome light fixtures, and sweet boys, and a bird that they always remember to feed. And this morning, after I saw a request for a bag all the way from Spain, I figured out in my cleverly sleuthful ways, that Michele had given me a nod over at her blog. Hence the giant billboard.

This came directly on the heels of yesterday's e-mail requesting an interview for a piece in the Winnipeg Free Press. I'm wondering if they will have anything to photograph. I am wondering if I need to enslave a manager to help me remember what I said to whom. Maybe I need a blackberry. Or a tiny, portable sewing machine that I can operate with my left ear while I am driving Arianna to the chiropracter on her non- soccer nights while my clone watches Jane playing soccer in Beausejour, and Sam is learning how to share a ball with eleven friends in Niverville. Or maybe just get my bernina back from the hospital for a start.

I am chewing the insides of my lips to smitherines.
My floors are filthy.
I have piles of laundry due to the broken down washing machine, and the reliable appliance man who cannot come.
As far as I can remember, I still work full-time kissing other people's babies.
It's warm outside and we're making a lot of villages in the sandbox.
And I'm so very, very excited about being an artist. Especially because I sincerely believe that this is actually a God Thing.

And so, it's official.
I am never going to sleep again.

16 comments:

Valerie Ruth said...

you'll need lots of good coffee.

mmichele said...

bring your laundry next time. you do your errands and i'll do your laundry. i can wash but i can't sew.

gloria said...

suck it up, you're famous now... the famous don't sleep and get no privacy... just wait until the flashbulbs of the Carillon and Scratching River paparazi start going off in your windows at all hours of the day and night.

Crystal said...

This is awesome Joyce!

Unknown said...

I have an email from 4:38am this morning - to prove she doesn't sleep. OK, time difference might have something to do with that.... I'm soooo excited to get my Darfur bag! [Leah's sister

oreneta said...

Yes! That was me from Spain...so can I have a bag? I hope you sleep some, everything goes better....

andrea said...

I have every confidence in your ability to Do It All. From what I've seen, you have an ability to prioritise that most women would envy ~ but don't forget to stop for a glass of wine sometimes! :)

Beate said...

You know, when I read your blog, I realize I should not complain that I can's seem to get around to finish cleaning my apartment... but my excuse is that after all it is my day off..

but if your clone is done with her tasks for the day, could I borrow her for a few hours? No sowing, only a bit of cleaning..

Great to hear that you are becaming famous anyway. (Maybe you should ask for a new washing machine in exchange for that interview? :)

I'm so exited that I might be getting my bags next week!!A picture will be posted as soon as they are over the jetlag.

joyce said...

Beate- it seems like a million years ago I sent that bag! I hope you get it soon. The button bag I think I will always make. It is a personal favourite of mine.

Andrea- that is the nicest thing you said. So encouraging. And because I trust your judgement so completely, I went out and got a bottle of wine to accompany me through the marathon of whirring that i plan on for this evening.

oreneta: of course. OF COURSE!!

jen- I think that 6:38 am is pretty impressive too!

Gloria and Crystal. You guys are officially my body guards. Thatès no small order.

Michele- be careful what you wish for. Maybe you should have Valerie Ruth over- she'll bring the coffee. Surely the two of you could make a dent in the laundry...

Roo said...

wow joyce. exciting days! awesome...

Bonnie said...

I'm so happy for you you Joyce. Your bags are awesome and so are you, you can do it, I have complete faith in you. Is that why you haven't come for coffee on Wed. lateley?? We miss you!

Anonymous said...

Wow Joyce! Wow. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Way to go my dear schwester!
Mary p.s. I'm still getting compliments on my bag wherever I go!

gloria said...

p.s. if they want a picture of the BEST Darfur bag EVER.... mine is available for the photo shoot!

:)

joyce said...

gloria- I was thinking that I may have to go that way for the photo op. Esp now that Cheri's machine is dead also.

lettuce said...

who needs sleep, right?

or clean laundry for that matter...