Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Where's the yin for my yan?

(or is it fen for my shway?)

I'm feeling a little kooky. A little out of whack. Kind of unbalanced.
Excited.
Incapable.
Flawed.

Spinner of Plates. Spinning out of control.

So, how do people do it? How do they work their job well? parent their children well? Work passionately at their passions? Keep their clutter manageable? (mental and material). Make suppers fairly regularly that people don't groan about? Keep band-aids and nutella in abundance? Not overspend? Live generously? Read to kids? Never roll your eyes at them? Be interested in others? Keep up with the paperwork?

How do they become relatively guilt-free, not second guessing themselves to painful proportions?

I thought I'd check my nemesis/hero first of all. Soule Mama. That beautiful, gorgeous, talented, gifted, lovely, slim-hipped sewer of her childrens' clothing, educator of their thirsty minds, baker of bread, stitcher of linens, writer of books, blogger of all bloggers. She likely never buys her kids the wrong size of soccer cleats at the thrift shop. She likely never runs out of such flask-of-oil items like saltine crackers.

She gets over a hundred comments on her blog posts.
I used to envy that.

Till I started to wonder how she copes with it all. How can you validate 164 comments?! So, I went to see whether or not she replied to all those comments, and it doesn't look like she does. Unless she has a really enlightening link to share with everyone. In which she validates someone else's blog or source of ever-so-helpful information.

I've been called mean and spiteful before. Gosh, I hate to think that there's some truth in that. Darnit I hate it when I'm so obviously flawed, human, selfish, envious.... I could go on. And now it turns out that I'm unbalanced as well! (well, that's not new information. It's just that now the whole world has public access to that information.)

So. Striving for balance, while simultaneously doing absolutely everything that I love doing, and quite a few things that I just have to do, plus some stuff that's just boring but necessary.

Any brilliant suggestions? I'll accept up to one hundred and sixty four replies. And I promise to be so balanced, that I won't reply to every single one.

6 comments:

Linda said...

How do they do it? They don't.

Sorry, but that's the truth.

Crystal said...

those people don't exist. they've just mastered the art of appearances.

I personally believe that by having an "every man for himself" attitude at our house that I am giving my daughters an invaluable education in survival 101. That's my excuse anyway.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever stopped to realize that some people look at you the same way you look at Soule Mama?

Unknown said...

I can only do 1 or 2 things well at a time. So I try to pick important things. Scrubbing the bathtub isn't important.

BTW - is Soule Mama's book any good?

Anonymous said...

You sound like me. The thing is, your friend most likely looks up to you too. I certainly do. Seems like you have a long should's list too.

Roo said...

when you find out the answer (how those people do it) let me know. Or write a book and sell it so we can all be the more wiser.

:)