Monday, May 19, 2008

Some Thoughts on Church and Faith

The less I try and figure out theology; the more excited I get about this God thing.
It frees me up in church, when people say things that I think are weird. I don't try so hard to quickly work out in my head whether they are right or wrong or whether I want to absorb their stuff into my head. I just try to listen. Try to observe. Leave room for God to be God. Whether He be weird or sensible, I can't figure that out any more.

And here's what seems to be happening. I feel like I'm coming more into the person God made me to be. Less concerned whether people will agree or not. A little more "freed up", a little less judgemental and frightened.

It's ironic, isn't it? When one becomes un-churchy, quits volunteering for all the stuff that good Christians do with their time, recognizes what a pathetic amount of faith she can lay claim to.... That's when something begins to make some sense. That's when the "God stuff" starts showing up in your life. That's when the community comes into your kitchen and the bearing of one another's burdens is no longer contrived and organized. That's when your passions begin to flow in a direction that totally makes sense, even as simultaneously, there are other aspects of your life that are apparently in a big mess. It matters less. There is a marked reduction in the sense that one has to get one's ducks, bibles, and devotionals in a row before any good can come of it.

There is one piece of Jesus time on earth that I find myself dwelling on quite often. Especially when I notice how much time Christians spend pointing out how other Christians are wrong in their theologies. I always think of those religious leaders- in current terminology they would likely be profs at bible colleges, ministers of churches, deacons, popes, priests- Whatever word you can think of. (I'm trying to avoid the appearance of finger-pointing here). They had immersed themselves in the scriptures. They had figured out what the coming Kingdom was going to look like. They knew the rules about what good Christians did and did not do.

And then Jesus totally offended them.
Called them names.
Talked about how their behaviors meant very little.

Crazy.
So, I'm caring less about figuring this thing out. If I actually trust God, then can't I leave a lot of that thinking up to him? And if people say weird stuff, or strict stuff, or religious stuff.... Do I really have to figure out if they are right or wrong? Or how right or wrong I myself am?

Weird, boring, confusing and frustrating as church and faith can be, I think I may be onto something here. I'm in for the long haul because I think Jesus was a pretty amazing embodiment of God.

And I want to get some more.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Joyce. Those are some awesome thoughts. I know there have been several points in my faith walk that I have had to just figuratively throw in the towel and not worry about it. Is it a point that separates me from God or a point that doesn't really matter? Thanks for posting what you're feeling. It really resonated with me.

Roo said...

i love this post. especially the first paragraph.

lainy said...

These same thoughts and questions have been rattling around in my head very loudly and have been distracting me from life and my relationship with God. I've been struggling lately with "doing it right" when so many people have different ideas about what the right way looks like. What is the right way to be in relationship with God? Thanks for sharing your thoughts and conclusions.

Linda said...

You are, most definitely, onto something. Great post!

gloria said...

well said Joyce... i love the point you made about Jesus and the Pharisees who just KNEW it all and condemned those that did not do as they did only to be told by Jesus that is was THEM who were wrong.

i am going to leave more of my thinking to God too.

Heather Plett said...

I'm right there with you.

For me, recently, I've been focusing on the feminine side of God and especially the stuff about Sophia/wisdom in the old testament. Some of my prayers begin "dance with me Sophia" - a very freeing way to pray for a reformed Menno.

Judy said...

And this is why I love you so!