Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I'm 39, and I'm not afraid to tell you what to do about it.



I thought I'd had a completely original idea, until I googled "ugly sweater party" in images, and got 131 hits. This just verifies that it is a brilliant idea, and worthy of imitation.

Here is the challenge. Post a photo of a very ugly sweater. There are no game rules. It doesn't even have to be your sweater.

Also, set aside Friday, November 24 as International Ugly Sweater Day. Don your worst sweater, and plan to be at my house by 7:00 pm. The time may change, but you will be barred entrance if you come in something that is not ugly. Bring something with you that is consumable, because this is also my 39th birthday party. I don't want gifts, except that I want my house to be full of women who never looked so bad. This is not one of those parties where you should sweat for days wondering how you'll save the money to buy the hostess a crystal vase, or have to go to a specialty cheese store for ingredients for your hors de vors. (I'm not even sure I know how to spell that). I'm not the kind of hostess who will wash the dust off your feet as you enter my dazzling abode. You'll likely be dustier at the time of your departure, but your immunity will be way, way up from laughing a lot, your tummy will be warm and full, and you will believe again in peace and good will.

There will be a special prize for any silent readers who tell me of, or show me a picture of their ugliest sweater. Also for anyone who is unable to book their flight in time for the 24th, you will be specially honoured if you humour me with a blog post instead.

Go on then. I'm in a bit of a hurry myself because my friends are arriving here in a few minutes and we're off to the thrift shop to get at the best of the lot before the rest of you read this.

Enjoy.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh! I have the perfect hideous creation that I knitted in the 80s. It has badgers on the sleeve. I shall dig it out and wear it with pride whilst sitting miserably on my own wishing I could be at your party.

Anonymous said...

I don't have an ugly sweater and really don't have the money to buy one - I will write an blog for your b-day!!

BTW I turn 35 on the thirtieth!! :)

Heather Plett said...

Hmmm... I knew I shouldn't have given all those old sweaters away when I decluttered last year!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time. But I don't have any ugly sweaters!

Anonymous said...

Oh! I've got one, and it is UGLY.

Yet, I LOVE it!

I will wear it with pride for you, my dear.

It's my 'dog' sweater. Sadly, the dog I wore it for died unexpectedly and I just cannot bring myself to get rid of it.

Judy - www.judyh58.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I have a sweater that is perfect. Maybe not truly ugly but certainly LOUD and OBNOXIOUS. I hope I can come! Must check the calendar.

Michele

joyce said...

Cherry- do wish you could come. It sounds like the Canadian women don't even own ugly sweaters.... unbelievable.

me- sounds terrific- and happy almost birthday!

Heather and Linda: Here's an idea. Get thee to a thrift shop. It can be your girls night out before the girls night out...

Michele- ugly is in the eye of the beholder... I just really hope that someone doesn't come in one of their favourites and land up winning the prize for the ugliest... how red would my face be...

Anonymous said...

Im in...do I get a card since Im RVSPing? Or one of those home made numbers you picked up at the "thrift and gift"? Im excited....what are you doing next monday? I need to go shopping for the party!!

Anonymous said...

ok ok I screwed up...its RSVPing isn't it? so glad you don't judge me.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT.
:)
the only thing i wish i had to match my ugly sweater is a set of matching LEG WARMERS.

i will see if i can find child care as my hubby is gone that night.

ps btw - beta rocks! ;)

joyce said...

Ruth- you find a second sweater
(a little larger)and cut the arms off. voila! leg warmers.
Grandma Armbruster told me that she's been aching to baby-sit lately...

lettuce said...

Its in my diary!

That picture you've posted has set a rather high standard already.

Anonymous said...

Joyce....I think Darcie & ede would be an asset to this festive affair. What fun. Kathy

joyce said...

Lettuce- will you be able to book your flight in time?

Kathy- NO KIDDING!
I hate to name any names here, because I know that I'll miss lots of people but I do wonder if Janice, ede, Heather CE, Alice, Darcie, Roselle, Amanda, Rosa, Pam, Lory, Daphne,Pamela, Elaine, Bev, and all their friends will respond? hint, hint.

Anonymous said...

You know, I have no idea why it won't let you add me to the blog roll unless I did something in my account settings. I will check later (I'm getting off in a few minutes) and if I change anything, I will let you know.

M

Anonymous said...

I am SO coming to your ugly sweater party.
And....thanks alot,there goes my promise to never comment on anyones's blog.

Ali

joyce said...

DOOT DA DOOOOOOOOOOOO
(that was the sound of a trumpet. Alice has left a comment.

ALICE HAS LEFT A COMMENT!!!

Best in Blogs, roll over. I may or may not win you, but I ask you-- did Alice comment on your blog?!

Romeo Morningwood said...

Well La Di Da!

Alice has NEVER EVER EVER left a comment..Anywhere.
All of your radical feminist ugly sweater propaganda has got her thinkin' all sorts of crazy ideas...what else did they tell you to try in Cosmo?
I hope that you're happy.
You should have known that you were playing with fire when you started 'toying' with the idea of having an ugly sweater party...
hope you enjoy burning your bras!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I think that I, too am coming to your ugly sweater party. It may mean a trip to our local Thrift Shop, which Joyce claims is the best. We'll see...