Wednesday, November 08, 2006

May the Bird of Paradise....

Some years ago we belonged to a different church community and took part in a small study group, taking turns meeting in one another's homes. We'd been part of other groups in the past, and would join more in the future, but this one stands out in my mind as dynamic and cohesive. Something happened when we came together, there was a meeting of the minds, and the old cliche; "You are in a safe place" actually rang true. Well, most of the time any way. There was one ugly clash, and some misunderstanding, but like I said, it was church. Whaddya expect?

We made friends in those meetings. The sorts of friends who are actually family, because years can go by with little contact and they never lose their spot in your heart. They are the sort of people who show up to your brother's funeral without being asked to. They are the sort of people who send utterly breathtaking floral arrangements out of the blue with a simple card that reads; "Thought you might need this today, thinking of you lots".

Me thinks I may have diciphered a closet blog reader or two. Either that, or they are mind readers. Which isn't entirely unlikely, because like I said, that was a group with an unusual sense of connectedness.

I dare you to leave a comment. I know who you are. I know where you live.

And I love you lots. Thank you, your thoughtfulness is ........ exemplary.

3 comments:

Brian the Mennonite said...

Hey Joyce. I think the Ross' have iron wills. I think what they are REALLY waiting for is a dinner invitation. Better get on that babe!

Rosster said...

May the bird of Paradise.....fly up your nose,let him caress her with your toes..." (think K-tel records in the 70's) Yes, i may be a closest blog reader. Thanks for showing a picture of the "birds" (paradise=westman???)
Thank you also for being real, real, REAL in your writings. The world could use a little more honesty and vulnerability. You're touching more lives than you know. We cherish the memories of the old days with you fine folks around, and enjoy being a part of Blunderview. Shelli, Darryl, Kassidy Ross

Anonymous said...

I am not sure which I like more this post or the buttons. Of course, you know I like buttons...but this post is so true - a safe place. I thought I had one once...